Got Lava?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got Lava?

Didnt know quite where to post this but I think you enjoy the post. I took a bucket list trip to Iceland last week with the wife and some friends. Red eye flight arrived early and check in to AirBNB was not till 3:00. We decided to check out a volcano that had a minor eruption about a year ago. It was not far from the airport near Reykjavik. Hiked a few miles up to the lava field. Very cool. Day 3 we experience 4 earthquakes. One was a 5.2 on the richter scale at 3:00 am. I slept through that one. The dormant volcano was erupting. Authorities said it was not the type to blow the lid off the mountain. Last day of trip I had to do alot of convincing to get the group to go back to the volcano. We hiked uphill for 4 miles. How often in life do you get to see an erupting volcano? Enjoy the pics. I brought home a souvenir piece of lava.

Very cool, volcano is on my bucket list as well. Didn't know Iceland had them too

Comment

Just WOW
      Missouri

Comment

I'd say the hike back up was well worth it. Not many folks that walk the planet get to see what you saw.
        Coastal Plain of Maryland

Comment

• Tam
          Tam commented
          Editing a comment
          Well said brother

Cool! I'd be looking for knappable rock specimens. 😉
        South Carolina

Comment

Iceland is amazing. Food? Not so much.
          Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

Amazing photos . Look up Eldfell 1973 when the town actually took seawater to hold back the lava and save the harbor .
            Ok living in Hawaii your going to see this . 2 decades ago Wayne was working on the Geo thermal plant . Flying over the lava fields at night was like Xmas .
            We have had our share of destruction here . The weirdest was the fishers opening up . I watched on TV for that one . I mean the block would open up like an earthquake movie . Of course people were evacuated .
            That's the Big Island not Oahu where I am .
            I would love to go to Iceland and Finland . And, and and 🤣

Comment

Working...
            X