Gold?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gold?

Found today in field. Is this quartz with gold flakes?

Sure looks like it

Comment

I find quartz like what you are showing. If you can remove or easily flake out any of the gold colored pieces then probably not gold. But I hope your piece is gold! Wouldn’t that be an awesome find!
      South Carolina

Comment

It's hard to tell from photos. but gold will flatten. easy when hammered. And pyrite fool's gold will shatter.

Comment

Bite it. I learned that from watching the old Westerns.
          Michigan Yooper
          If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

I am with South Fork post Blogs Gold is malleable. Give it the whack a mole test. There was a Geological Survey Bulletin earlier in the 20th Century about possible Gold near Junction City, Kansas. Gold was found in a cash register with USA Gold Coins in the early 1900's... yes. In Junction City in limestone... ho ho ho.

If you pry out a piece, lay it upon a hard surface and hit it with a hammer it will flatten. If it breaks into pieces, Iron Pyrite, Fools Gold, Iron sulfide. If you hammer it and it actually is 18 to 22 carat natural gold, you turned a mineral specimen worth a lot, into high grade Dental Gold Crowns at 8 carat prices.

Of course you do not say Where, When, What you Paid and any details. I sell USGS Bulletins and Professional Papers that are full of Gold Papers. The problem is the gold is gone, the mine is closed and few like to read about an empty gold mine. Except myself. Find a 19th Century pair of Levi Pants... and you HIT the Gold.

I am a senile Geologist. If you found this in Ohio... maybe from a Rock Shop by the gram. This sample is not weathered. California Gold is often in milky or clear quartz. Since this is Rare... form of native gold in quartz... Quartz does not weather with clean fractures. Rivers tumble the quartz and the gold falls out, like dental fillings.

I found a $20 bill in my wallet. Is it real? Bite into it, you will need dental work with a rock specimen. The $20 bill... folds, so must be real.

Comment

• B.Rubble
              B.Rubble commented
              Editing a comment
              This was found in a plowed field full of river rock and gravel

• PaleoSnow
              PaleoSnow commented
              Editing a comment
              Seven, We have a nearly 2000 acre lease that borders the Ouachita National Forest in west central Arkansas and we find tons, literally, of quartz on the land and most especially on a ridge we have dubbed Quartz Hill. Knowing quartz is sometimes gold bearing and run together, has any like this ever been found in Arkansas that you know of? We find many beautiful quartz crystal specimens of several colors and sometimes go in search of them. Would be a little more fun knowing ours may. E gold bearing! Thanks

looks like fools gold ta me.
            Utah

Comment

Quartz in Arkansas was lots of fun picking up in the tailings at the Coleman Quartz Mine at Jessieville, Arkansas. There is a great
              U S Geological Survey bulletin on Quartz Crystals of Arkansas, Bulletin 973, by Engel in 1946.

If you are looking for Gold in Arkansas, go to a Coin Shop. Diamonds, yes.

Arkansas Quartz is water formed and many crystal clear, as well as milky. Gold bearing quartz is found in Igneous Pegmatites... like the Rocky Mountains and the Appalachians. Finding Gold in a plowed field with gravel? This is not a water worn pebble. The Glaciers coming out of Canada are known to have had Diamonds... Ohio... need a better source.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by SevenOut; 02-15-2023, 03:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X