What is this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is this?

A co-worker that knows I have an interest in arrowheads and stuff brought this to me this morning. It looks more like sandstone than flint. Such a unique shape! Is it something that naturally occurs in nature and he was just lucky enough to find it OR what??

Click image for larger version

Name:	003 b [replaced].jpg
Views:	31
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	220695

Click image for larger version

Name:	001 b [replaced].jpg
Views:	26
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	220696

Looks like a stalactite, is the tapered end quartz?

Comment

It has a definite quartz layer in it. The tip could be cloudy quartz. It is small. Only 1" in length.

Comment

Sam found this near Alapaha, GA in south Georgia. No caves. But what do I know? Maybe it doesn't have to be in a cave??

Comment

It looks like Dog Tooth Spar calcite crystal
          Professor Shellman
          Tampa Bay

Comment

Ditto x 2
            Jess B.
            It is a "Rock" when it's on the ground.
            It is a "Specimen" when picked up and taken home.

​Jessy B.
            Circa:1982

Comment

I"ve shown this item to several different people and no one seems to agree on what it could be. I've been told: bannerstone, a toy, and an atlatl as well as what has been suggested here.
              There are no caves in south Georgia. Well, at least I don't think there are. South Georgia is low land and sandy. There was heavy Indian occupancy many, many years ago.
              Maybe someone traded for it?
              It does have a "crystal" shape so I am leaning more toward believing that suggestion although I still am not certain. It seems to be sandstone with a couple quartz layers and a clay colored layer.
              Please share the photos with anyone that might have any other ideas.
              Thank you!!

Comment

Dark room.  Blacklight.  See if it glows greenish/yellow.  !!  
                See if your fingernail, then a penny... will scratch it.  Calcite hardness ranges 2.5- 3.5   
                A penny @ 3.5, a fingernail @ 2.5   If a penny will not scratch it then I would suppose it's a harder mineral and would need to be tested with glass, maybe steel or emery cloth..
                Good luck!
                Professor Shellman
                Tampa Bay

Comment

Bannerstone and atlatl are definitely out, as is toy. It does not look like an artifact but, an unmodified rock.
                  Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

I agree with the naysayers!  :laugh:
                    It does indeed have all the features of a dog-tooth speleothem. Like this:

Speleothems are oft-regarded as cave formations because that where they are most frequently found. But they'll form anywhere where there is calcium-rich groundwater and a cavity for it to drip into. Doesn't have to be a cave. A void in limestone, a sink-hole... anything will do.
                    Also, that specimen is broken away from something larger, rather eroded and has a dirty mineral encrustation. It's likely been transported by water and could be a long way from where it was formed. Remember also that whatever the abundance (or scarcity) of caves in your area now... that mineral could be a million years old. What matters is whether there were caves ta the time it formed. Not whether there are caves now.
                    [PS: Welcome to the forum Dianne  ]
                    I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Working...
                    X