Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adze type Cultivator or Doliodus problematicus?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adze type Cultivator or Doliodus problematicus?

Found again with my daughter while hunting for agates along an eroding river bank in central MN. Appears to be like a fine grain granite, but perhaps with more feldspar than typical granite. I actually was unknowingly using it to loosen and dig dirt from around large jasper boulders until I took a second look at it's angular construction. Could it be a large drill or possibly a cultivating tool? Or is it just a tooth from a MN Granite shark AKA Doliodus problematicus? Thanks for any and all input.

Yea,  I think the shark one!   
    South Dakota

Comment

Posted by [Mainejman]:

Hey ww not seeing where its been worked.Not familiar with any tools that would look like that.jmo...have a good day....

Comment

I have been studying the celt pecking shown in the links Ray told me to look at, and I obviously need to go to a museum soon and see in person examples, but perhaps this shows some pecking in this pic?  I did use it to scrape mud from around a buried couple pieces of jasper, but I do not "think" that little bit would wear this like that....? Also, in the second extra picture it appears to me, but I defer to you, to have a channel ground or pecked  down the center of it to make an upside down T..Is it anything?  I appreciate your input, your words add to the weight of how important obvious work evidence really is to balancing natural against artifact.  Any extra comments as to the tip or backing and if that appears worked would be appreciated.  Thank You,  Scott

Comment

No, sorry, but that's just a rock, not an artifact.
          Rhode Island

Comment

I have to agree with everyone else that its a Doliodus problematicus. Keep hunting, you will eventually find an artifact and when you do you won't have to ask for an opinion you will know that you have something.

Comment

Working...
            X