Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unknown artifact from Citronelle, Al. HELP!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would also like to note that I am 6'3" tall with large hands so the pictures of me holding it are disproportionate to other people who have told me it fits perfectly...I would have grabbed a bigger rock lol

Comment

gregszybala wrote:

Wow, bad photos of a cool natural rock with a couple of recent chips on the "tip". So now it is without a doubt an extremely unique artifact that is so old................................
      You came here seeking HELP, you have rejected it all. Do us all a favor and take it to an "expert" and let us know what he says, then we can all be enlightened.
      I agree with Greg. My opinion is not conjecture but an opinion from many years of collecting and handling thousands of true artifacts. Yours is a natural rock no matter how you try to rationalize it.
      Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

:crazy: I already appologized for the poor picture quality, I did not reject all of the advise, and you are right, I am currently looking for a professional in the area to give it a look. I know hoaxes and such abound but I have been holding onto something that I dug up with my own hands at the top of a mound in an area of mound building Americans, an object that everyone has ever seen it asked me where I got my "cool tomahawk head" because it is exactly what it looks like. I just wanted to know more, I have felt shut out by a few narrow minded people who know little to nothing other than what I have posted. I doubt many individuals researched the area in which I found it or the native American history of the area. I also made it a point to emphasize the fact that all I had was conjecture and a gut feeling. My interest in the object is what drove me to look up more into the past of the area in which it was found and from that I have tried to draw some very modest theories. Of course its a rock, but all evidence points to it being used as an implement by someone at sometime. Whether it is worthless or not has no bearing on my curiosity to know more about it. It came from out of the ground so I can at least confirm that the person who used it did so long ago. There was a forest there before my family built our home in the very isolated area...which adds to my curiosity about its age. Also the simplicity that everyone is so quick to point out would lead one to postulate that if it is not as refined as the artifacts made by the last remnants of the population, then perhaps it was used by the earliest inhabitants. All of this is just conjecture and theory on my part, plain and simple. I know there are some wonderful people on this site, I have been on here all day and found a new and exciting hobby that I can combine with most of my other favorite hobbies. Two birds, one stone...love it! Thank you to everyone who have put themselves out there to give me feedback on this subject. Absolutely all of it is helpful and brings me closer to satiating my need to learn more about a lifetimes puzzle. I would like to also thank in advance anyone who is able to provide additional information or perhaps even point me in the direction of an expert in the Mobile, Al. area on either geology (to identify the stone) or better yet an individual with professional knowledge of the local Native culture (preferably one that specializes in stone implements).

Comment

A not so unique stone that has some scratching on it with some damage to the "Pointy" end.
          The "scratches" may have been caused by another stone at some time in antiquity but then again they may have been caused by a blade cutting through (the whatever they were cutting), but most of us have our doubts.
          I have been lurking and it seems that it does not matter what we, as lifetime collectors and finders have to say, once a novice has convinced themselves they have a rare and ancient "artefact" our words are a waste of time.
          BTW your rare/ancient/unusual specimen is not flint. It would take an extremely hard stone to "scratch" flint.
          I have an abundance of "Sex stones" in my yard that have never had a useful purpose other than to block holes that my dogs have been digging. I pick up unusual rocks all the time.
          Jess B.
          It is a "Rock" when it's on the ground.
          It is a "Specimen" when picked up and taken home.

​Jessy B.
          Circa:1982

Comment

"All of this is just conjecture and theory on my part, plain and simple."
            And therein lies the problem. Almost all of your conjecture is incorrect. For instance, you conjecture that perhaps earlier people used such "tools" prior to more refined tools. No, that's not correct at all. That's incorrect conjecture on your part, as is almost everything else you have speculated regarding. We stood little chance of helping you because you arrived with a set of assumptions that, apparently, hell and high water won't deter. Approach us with this attitude: "I don't know anything about this rock; everything I think I know about this rock may be completely wrong". If you do that and listen to us, you will learn something. Instead, you are holding on to your erroneous assumptions.
            Rhode Island

Comment

After posting a ROCK there are still two possible outcomes:

Michigan Yooper
              If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

maybe we should post some artifacts guys. Show -and- Tell time

Here is an ax from my personal collection it was found in New Haven Co CT. Comments are welcome on my rock. Or perhaps we can do a side by side and show differences and why a natural rock could look like this.Take note of the large wide groove going all the way around the ax it is called a full grooved ax. Notice the tiny peck marks on the surface of the green granite hard stone. All a part of the shaping and workmanship of making an ax. Notice the smoothness at the bit end from bieng sharpened and honed and then the use itself would further compliment the bit use wear. Notice the tiny flake in the blade edge which has a consistent color to the res of the rock. That is an ancient nick in the blade edge.
                When you look at the edge as you say on yours it is chipped stone but it seems to be a different color. recently broken. Not use wear. Perhaps from being struck by you and your dad with digging implements.
                In your  replies you seem to be feeling we are ganging up on you. You seem defensive. If you try to remember these few things it might help. Especially if you are new to forums. In my honest opinion Three  things one must consider when joining a public forum. You have to have an open mind, after all you ask that of us. You have to have  a thick skin, Can you take it as well as you dish it?. You should not be defensive if someone does not see what you see in person. After all we are offering opinions based on pictures that are of poor quality at times. Your pictures are fifty fifty. some good some bad. But enough for us to see it is most likely a natural rock.
                TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_2014-02-06 [replaced].jpg
Views:	52
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	220700

Personal find ....

Comment

Looks like mudstone/siltstone piece.  Ancient mud.  Often have bubbles/bumps/lines and come in all shapes, many bizarre.  JMHOP.

Professor Shellman
                    Tampa Bay

Comment

Looks like a water polished rock! The "chipping" you say is on the tip is where the rock is broken. Not made by human hands. See the color difference?

Comment

The tip looks to be recently chipped rather than ancient flaking.

Comment

Working...
                        X