Indian Shaman rocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indian Shaman rocks

My mother always said that when I was a little girl I only got a tan on the back of my neck because I was always hunched over inspecting something on the ground! Well,even now that's the case. When I walk along any creek here in Western Pa.,I have to alternate between looking for any unusual rocks,watching for any animals that might be way up ahead,and no stumbling in between!Now that I'm 55 today(my B.D.!)wowww,I have alot of thousands- years -old fossils of plantlife lined up out by the porch.Once, I found a triangle-shaped ironstone concretion that had a triangle-shaped hole in the center that siltstone had formed and eventually fell out.Tumbling about in the creek(not me-the rock)had smoothed the edges of this ironstone. We'd always either used it as a candle holder or as a doorstop :side: One day I decided to take this unusual rock that looked like an implement to the Pittsburgh Carnegie Museum and learned that it was too crude to have been made by a human but it was nature-made rocks such as these that Native American shamans(medicene men) would surround themselves with, believing these strange rocks gave special powers. I think it would be really awesome to have a section on this. I would post a picture of this "doorstop/candleholder but ,I kid u not,it was actually stolen by an Indian kid! I have uploaded some other pics that I hope someone can see anything familiar.

Moderator Note: profile album pictures no longer available

I would post these. I would like to see them. I love looking at Geofacts.
    Jack

Comment

Are there geofacts on this website

Comment

Chris, geofacts are rocks that look like they are an artifact but are not. Artifacts are knapped,ground by man, geofacts are formed by nature. If found in area were artifacts are found chances are ancient man may have picked them up....they liked cool rocks too!!

Comment

Geofacts often found their way into the pouches of individuals as power objects of special significance or focus.  As mentioned earlier much like us ancient man picked up stuff they fancied but unlike us they often imbued those objects with powers/spirits that protected them and gave them an edge for hunting/healing etc. When we hunt at sites and find stone objects that are geofacts but do not naturally occur in the region, say a colorful round pebble that is geologically out of place, it was possibly transported there by ancient man. It could have been a power object or perhaps just a pretty stone someone picked up (not to over mystify things)to please his woman or daughter. Not only the Shamans, but ancient man as a whole living in a sparsely populated dangerous world filled with large predators sought spirit help in natural objects. So geofacts must have been of great interest to them leading me to conclude that their occurrence in a habitation site was rarely a coincidence.

Comment

Chris - We have posts of artifacts, geofacts, "Just Rocks", fossils, bones and just about anything else you might find out in the fields/woodlands/creeks/rivers.  Post it if you found it - we definitely want to see it and talk about it. Welcome aboard and happy hunting  ---Chuck
            Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

I dont know if geofacts deserve a separate forum category, if yall think it is a good idea Ill add it though.
              Andrew Schwinn
              Arrowheads.com Staff

Comment

Chiefcw02 wrote:

Geofacts often found their way into the pouches of individuals as power objects of special significance or focus.  As mentioned earlier much like us ancient man picked up stuff they fancied but unlike us they often imbued those objects with powers/spirits that protected them and gave them an edge for hunting/healing etc. When we hunt at sites and find stone objects that are geofacts but do not naturally occur in the region, say a colorful round pebble that is geologically out of place, it was possibly transported there by ancient man. It could have been a power object or perhaps just a pretty stone someone picked up (not to over mystify things)to please his woman or daughter. Not only the Shamans, but ancient man as a whole living in a sparsely populated dangerous world filled with large predators sought spirit help in natural objects. So geofacts must have been of great interest to them leading me to conclude that their occurrence in a habitation site was rarely a coincidence.
                  AWESOME!

Comment

I agree with the Chief 

Comment

Working...
                  X