Rock with neat angles and symmetry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rock with neat angles and symmetry

Here's something interesting. I found this in the park near Cooper Creek in Columbus, GA. After I washed it off I was thrilled to see the clear symmetry and accuracy with the angles. I don't even have a conjecture as to what it could have been- part of a statue or something? I've thought it may even have been part of a stone hearth or something from a Civil War era home- any ideas? The pictures do it no justice, it really is neato and so smooth!

Not easy to be certain from the photos, Beth, but in the second photo it looks like quartzite and appears to just be a rock judging from that photo.
    Rhode Island

Comment

You are so very right- it's hard to see the angles on the photo. I hesitated to even try to take the picture. It seems almost like a keystone. There are worn scratches on it where it was shaped...or possibly if it is just a natural rock I reckon it could have been wedged in a riverbed and the current moved sediment causing the scratches. It's darn near perfectly geometric, though.

Comment

I think im going to vote on natural...

Comment

Hey Beth, I can't tell for sure. It might help to see a picture of
          the wide end. And perhaps another picture of the long edge.
          Michigan Yooper
          If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Maybe these are a bit better:

Comment

I traced it to see if I could compare measurements. Now I'm really intrigued!

Comment

My thought also that it is a natural rock

Comment

Beth The reason I asked: The first pictures looked like it could have been an end scraper
                  that was water worn. However the wide end doesn't look right. I think it's natural.
                  It has the general shape and size of this one but as I said the wide end is not right:

Michigan Yooper
                  If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Hi Beth
                    I honestly think you're reading too much into the angular faces. It does indeed look like quartzite and it will therefore likely have "cleavage planes". Those are a function of the way it crystallized and represent weakly bonded layers in the rock, along which it will naturally split from impact damage, weathering, the effect of frost and so on.
                    I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Oh I don't doubt the possibility that I could read too much into it, obsessive pseudo-expertise runs in my family! The nearly identical measurements of the side perimeters are neat.  I've never seen a natural rock with such perfect angles and symmetry. Thanks for all your input!

Comment

Hi Beth,
                        I have one just like it!!  a little bigger and white quartz.  I will have to dig it out and re-find it now and will send you a pic.
                        I kept it because I thought it was a blank or a point that was given up on....or even some kind of game piece?
                        Very neat to see something almost exactly what I found.

Comment

Now that is neat! I'm really looking forward to seeing it. A game piece- I hadn't thought of that, but I had thought of possibly an unfinished point, but I didn't make the suggestion because I know how often people must come on this site thinking every triangular shaped rock they've found is a possible point of some kind. So I kept mum about that, lol.

Comment

found that rock....

Comment

I though it looked very close to what you had.....mine was not as big as I remembered.
                              thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X