Is this an arrowhead or a spearhead?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this an arrowhead or a spearhead?

I found this in Medford, New Jersey, at the edge of a large sand pit in about 1980. This area is at the edge of the Pine Barrens in Southern New Jersey. It is an area the Lenni Lenape once occupied. I always thought it was an arrowhead or a spearhead, but no one else thought so. Can anyone give me any information about it? I appreciate it. Thank you.

Appears to be a naturally formed rock to me.

Comment

Sadly, yes... it's just a rock, and I'm not even convinced that those two pieces belong together. It's sandstone, which was not generally used for projectile points because - even if you can chip it into approximately the right shape - it doesn't readily take sharp edges. Also think about the difficulty involved in mounting what you found to a shaft or pole (what we call "hafting"). It doesn't have any features which would be helpful in doing that.
      But keep looking, and welcome to the forum.
      I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Hey you did take some very good photos of that piece of sandstone!  You should check out some of these post and threads in the info center to familiarize yourself with the cherts  (materials) , natives used for tools and projectile points...Keep your eyes on the ground friend , they are out there, and you will know it's something special and different , when you see it! !
        Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Thanks Coach

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

Working...
            X