Flake removal process? See pictures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flake removal process? See pictures

Do these pieces show possible signs of flake removal? If so, how was it done and is this what they call a core? I may have posted this way back when but these are much better pictures. There are 2 different items.
    Or-is this all natural flaking due to freeze thaw?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_2014-11-01 [replaced].jpg
Views:	31
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	220834

One more picture if the second one....

Comment

It does to me and I knap a little but knowing the context would be nice.  Sometimes even a piece of driveway gravel can look interesting.  Are you sure of the material?  just thinking outloud here.  I see something, those ridges...
      New Jersey

Comment

well its hard to tell on those pieces
        but, the ridges look evenly spaced enough to have been done intentionally by taking flakes
        but i see no signs of even small bulbs where the flakes would have originated
        even pressure flaking leaves a small bulb
        i wouldnt call them cores
        flake cores usually have a shape like an octagon,nonagon or decagon etc
        and usually have the top side some what concaved to make removing a blade easier
        i agree that sometimes even driveway gravel looks like it may have been knapped
        i find lots of it in lumberyard lots, when i deliver building supplies, that at first glance look like it may have been knapped
        but when i pick it up and looks at it more i can tell it was either done by nature or machinery from the mining process

Comment

Working...
        X