Native Tool or Fossil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Native Tool or Fossil

I found this while rock hounding in Illinois. We find many fossils, Native American tools, and all kinds of gemstones. This one seemed more man made than natural. If anyone can tell me about this and maybe what it might go for. Thanks, Joe

IMO, the 2-inch long rock and the photo is of too poor quality to say much at all about your find. Not to mention your lack of information regarding the circumstances under which it was found, etc., etc., etc. There may be members among us who may be able to help you with so little info provided, but I'm not one. It is, for sure, an interesting looking stone.

Comment

sorry, I finally got pic transferred to pc. I am about a quarter mile from the Little Wabash River. I live in Effingham Il. My kids and I spend hours bashing and digging. We love it!!! This is from my own back yard. We also find petrified wood. The largest is 900+lbs.

Comment

Thanks for coming back so quickly to my suggestion for better photos, etc. Those are good photos and show what it seems to me in enough detail to provide the "experts" with enough definition and detail for them to offer opinions. Sorry but I don't feel qualified to offer any opinion. What you are showing is not like any thing that I've ever seen or had experience with. But having said that, my knowledge and experience is limited. It looks to me to have been purposefully scratched/incised by the hands of man and not the random marks left by "Mother Nature". Hopefully there are those among us on this forum who may have knowledge of or experience with such a stone. The Wabash River area is rich with Native American history and pre-history. It is definitely a strange piece. I look forward to what could be an interesting discussion.

Comment

Thanks Joe. I have never seen anything like it either. We have tubs full of lots of cool things. Some of my fossils have been looked at and it has been suggested my woods and creek probably had glacier activity. Anyway the piece is heavy. It reminds my of a stone with lots of iron. fossils and gems are more my thing. The more we dig around, the more weird stuff we get.

Comment

It looks like a natural rock to me.
            South Dakota

Comment

Welcome from another Central Illinoisian. I agree with SDhunter. It looks like a natural rock to me.
              Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

Almost looks like coprolite (dinosaur poop).

Comment

Thanks guys, prob another mystery piece.

Comment

Hello, I was at what is this. I figured I would post this here. Any info is good info. At first I thought fossil, then thought primitive or Native tool. Found in Illinois not far from Little Wabash.

Comment

I believe I actually know what this is. I looked at all your pictures closely and put a lot of thought into it and I have decided that it was early mans first attempt a making a Rubiks Cube. I'm sorry that I couldn't come up with anything better than that. I was actually thinking that there was a slim possibility of it being coprolite myself.
                      \"Of all the things I\'ve lost, I miss my mind the most.\"

Comment

lol, thanks. I also think that is what it is. After cleaning it more, I noticed little plant leads and the lines are probable a type of grass. Defintly a plant eater of so. I am a new poster and I am digging this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by civ5king6577 View Post
                          lol, thanks. I also think that is what it is. After cleaning it more, I noticed little plant leads and the lines are probable a type of grass. Defintly a plant eater of so. I am a new poster and I am digging this forum.
                          Glad you like the Forum. It really is a great site with awesome members.
                          \"Of all the things I\'ve lost, I miss my mind the most.\"

Comment

Im leaning towards some type of river tumbled plant fossil or layered rock that has been tumbled into cobble form...
                            Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

well, I did a 5 buck donation to the American Museum of History. I sent more photos of every angle. I am not worried about value. Just want to see. Y'all inspired me to call a man I know who owns a large creek area every creek leads right into little Wabash. He said he or anyone else hasn't been out there in more than 30 years. Going this weekend. I will post any findings

Comment

Working...
                              X