Fishing weight? Any other info?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fishing weight? Any other info?

This is an item I found on the beach at Bolinas, CA. After looking around, I believe this is a fishing weight used by Native Americans, but not sure if I can say that for certain. Can anyone confirm this, and/or add additional information such as when it might have been used, or by what group?
    A friend also suggested that this could be a very early, perhaps prehistoric version of Pac Man. I await your opinions.
    Thanks a million!
    Laura

Here's another view, so you can see that the "eye" goes straight through.

Comment

Lara
      It looks like a rock that has been smoothed by years of bouncing around in the surf. I do not see anything here that would suggest it it man made.
      The hole that goes all the way trough is not man made but natural. If it was man made the holes would be round and conical in shape. Most native tribes used hollow reeds and sand to drill the holes through stone which leaves a conical shape on both sides, meeting in the middle.
      Jack

Comment

Thanks, Jack.  It's kind of cute, so I guess I'll keep it, anyway.  I appreciate the advice!

Comment

Beaches can be tricky places to hunt in my opinion.. lots of errosion at work in the surf.  Thats definitely a geofact, though it does look like pacman! 

Comment

Working...
          X