This one is interesting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This one is interesting?

Found in southern Utah. This one is interesting to me as one side is flat other side is rough with both ends appearing to have usewear?

just a rock in my opinion

Comment

It doesn't look like an artifact to me. Just a small rock. The exact location of your find might (or might not) help explain what appears to you to be use or wear caused by a person.

Comment

Found in an area with lots of flakes like it may have been a knapping area, so made me wonder.

Comment

Not an artifact.

Comment

Okay thanks!

Comment

Hey Susie, keep at it though, you are going to strike pay dirt sometime and the prize is not in the find necessarily, it can also be in getting out and doing something you enjoy. Especially if you are doing it with someone whose company you enjoy. Being alone now and again aint that bad either. Allows your mind to wander. I try to avoid that cause I have a hard time finding it when it wanders to far. Like I have always said, of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most. Good luck on your hunting.
              \"Of all the things I\'ve lost, I miss my mind the most.\"

Comment

Keep looking! My driveway is paved with rocks I dragged home, hoping . . . your eyes will eventually become calibrated.
                Child of the tides

Comment

Sue it sounds like you have the bug that the rest of us here suffer from. As said earlier keep on searching and lo and behold one time it will be right at your feet. My avatar an the left was my first find ever after many months of searching. You will get one. That is a nice looking stone and being from Illinois you western folk really have some nice materials at your feet. Good luck and happy hunting!!!
                  The chase is better than the catch...
                  I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

Haha, I do suffer with the bug. My Mom keeps asking me bewildered, "Now why do you like rocks so much?". The tip on eye calibration from Haven hunter is really helpful. You all are already helping me with that by giving me feedback on my postings. I still have a long ways to go though! Baba, wow what an awesome first find! You give me hope. And Taxidermist, I love losing my mind too, but I have to be careful not to wander too far as well, haha. It seems like a very spiritual journey, a way of connecting to Mother earth and those that came before us. For me especially in the red rock of southern Utah!

Comment

I used to carry an arrowhead with me that I would look at every now and then while searching as sort of a way of calibrating my eyes. In time your eyes will hone in on particular shapes, lines, grooves, colors and when u find one get it posted asap. I'm heading out right now...
                      The chase is better than the catch...
                      I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

Susie,
                        The reason calibrating yourself to flake patterns, flaking techniques, edge work and base types to name a few things is so important is because more often than not, the whole artifact is not laying on top of the dirt in all its splendid glory. Most of the time, just a tell tale sign is exposed and you either need to learn these differences between rock and artifact really well or you need to bend over and pick up every rock you see that is only partially exposed. If a person is only ever finding points or fossils for that matter that are completely exposed then they have missed out on 10 times more finds that they could have made. It truly is a knack but the good thing is this is a knack that anyone can learn with time and practice. Take some real points and hold them in your hand and turn them to all angles and familiarize yourself with surface work and edge work and believe it or not, these aspects will vary from artifacts made from different time frames and even different point types and as crazy as it might sound, different stone types. A lot to familiarize yourself with but worth it in the long run and a heck of a lot of fun if you ask me. I sure wish you some awesome luck soon. Remember, no matter where you live, artifact collecting is picking up. (pun intended)
                        Last edited by taxidermist01; 11-02-2015, 10:42 PM.
                        \"Of all the things I\'ve lost, I miss my mind the most.\"

Comment

That's good advice. I spotted just the edge of a large quartzite point as it lay buried on its side in beach sand. It even had oyster spat attached! I happened to flick it with my walking stick & there it was!
                          Child of the tides

Comment

Great advice! I'm excited to study up this winter and go back to that spot come spring. It's a pretty isolated area, about 5 hours away in southern Utah. I live in northern Utah. I'm sure by then my eyes will be better calibrated and the wind and rain will help reveal some things too!

Comment

• Havenhunter
                              Havenhunter commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I find the best stuff-- points, colonial artifacts, fossils & awesome sea glass 3-4 days after a big coastal storm with winds out of the NE & NNE. Once you figure out what weather patterns work in the area you hunt in, you'll know the optimal time to look.

Wow that's exciting to think that more things are being revealed with weather changes and storms. Due to the distance, deer hunting season and winter weather, I won't be able to go back to that spot until Spring....so I'll bet the weather all winter will give the area a new look....something to look forward to! Thanks

Comment

Working...
                            X