Baby indian foot.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baby indian foot.

So I found this foot on the West Texas, Mexican Border in Presido TX. It was in a old creek bed area where the Rio grande once was. I also found arrow heads in the same area. I think the foot might be a carving, like a fertility piece, I have read that the left side replicas are used for black magic and the right is for white magic. I would like a expert opinion or even thoughts of what this artifact is.

Arch

Five Toes

Ankle

Arrowheads i found in the same area (clues)

pinkie toe

carving???

All of my finds

The rock is natural and was incised with  lines by human hands to make it look like a foot.  Real neat artifact but have no ideal what it was used for. May have been just curiosity to them like it is to us.
    Jack

Comment

That's pretty cool!  Those are some dang big toes for such a little foot!  More than meets the eye.
      Pam

Comment

Nice to see some new stuff! Your arrowheads are scrappers though,still good stuff though. I should know I call myself the scrapper king seeing thats about all I find. But I do like that carving,not sure what it was used for but cool to look at!

Comment

This looks completely natural to me.

Comment

If that was picked off on an Indian Campsite it is possibly a moccasin last. Similar to our modern day shoe lasts Seems to me it would be easier to sew a moccasin together on a form than just stitching it up. Just a thought I do have one in my collection will try and get a picture up here tomorrow.
            TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Hoss1958usa wrote:

If that was picked off on an Indian Campsite it is possibly a moccasin last. Similar to our modern day shoe lasts Seems to me it would be easier to sew a moccasin together on a form than just stitching it up. Just a thought I do have one in my collection will try and get a picture up here tomorrow.
                Realistically, there is no such artifact as a "moccasin last".  That's a myth that has been perpetuated for a very long period of time.  There would have to be a "last" for each foot of every native out there, and that simply isn't the case.  I doubt that a form would have been necessary.  BUT, if one was used, it would have been much simpler to make one out of rawhide than stone. Once a pair of moccasins were made the sole alone could have been used for the next pair, etc.

Comment

I would love to see that.

Comment

Neanderthal wrote:

Hoss1958usa wrote:

Realistically, there is no such artifact as a "moccasin last".  That's a myth that has been perpetuated for a very long period of time.  There would have to be a "last" for each foot of every native out there, and that simply isn't the case.  I doubt that a form would have been necessary.  BUT, if one was used, it would have been much simpler to make one out of rawhide than stone. Once a pair of moccasins were made the sole alone could have been used for the next pair, etc.
                    I myself have recently found a moccasin last and after researching I found a great article to share on the topic.
                  THE PROBLEM OF THE STONE LASTS
                  An unsolved problem awaits solution. For many years stones
                  with the approximate shape of the human foot have been found,
                  and these so closely resemble lasts for making shoes that the stones
                  are popularly called lasts. Yet since these stones are found in western
                  Oregon and western Washington where the known Indians
                  either went barefooted or wore moccasins which did not require a
                  stone last there seems to have been no attention paid to the occasional
                  foot-shaped stones, and nothing seems to have been published
                  in regard to such things.
                  That these artifacts were laboriously fashionyd with a high
                  degree of skill can now be definitely proved, since the writer has
                  found an ancient "factory site." The numerous partly made "lasts"
                  show the details of workmanship, from the chipping of an unsuitable
                  stone which was rejected, through the various stages to the completed
                  artifact, one being an almost perfect model of a human foot,
                  as natural as a plaster cast. This is probably the supreme masterpiece
                  of aboriginal art of this region.
                  As the result of extensive correspondence many specimens have
                  been located, including a cache which was found while digging up
                  the stump of a tree about four feet in diameter. It had grown above
                  a log which had almost entirely rotted, and beneath were found
                  fifteen specimens, ranging from the size of the foot of a small
                  child to that of a large man. At another place two hundred miles
                  away about the same number were found, which also ranged in
                  similar sizes. These indicate some early people who made these artifacts
                  for some definite purpose, and the obvious similarity to lasts
                  for making shoes seems to "indicate that they were made for constructing
                  foot-coverings.
                  The site of the ancient "factory" was evidently selected because
                  many river stones of suitable size abounded there, and scattered
                  among the boulders are many showing attempts to shape some stone
                  which was found unsuitable. These are andesite, a hard lava rock,
                  and great skill is shown in splitting off portions. One specimen was
                  entirely shaped by cleavage, but usually some small boulder of approximate
                  shape was selected and then portions broken off to make
                  the needed shape. Then there was a laborious system of abrasion,
                  often parallel cuts were made along a ridge which was then ground
                  (276)
                  The Problem of the Stone Lasts 277
                  off by rubbing with some hard stone. A polisher worn by much use
                  was found and probably was used for that purpose. A set of about
                  twenty specimens in various stages has been collected.
                  It seems highly improbable that these artifacts were made by
                  the Indians who occupied the region where they are found at the
                  time when white men reached the northwest coast. Some earlier
                  people must have used some form of foot-covering which required
                  such lasts. That they were made of hard stone instead of easily
                  cut wood seems to suggest that thick skin of some animal was
                  wrapped about the stone which was boiled in some process of tanning,
                  yet nothing whatever is actually known beyond the fact that
                  these remarkable relics exist.
                  J. NJ

Comment

Now why in the world would man spend days making an unnecessary stone form for shoes that have been made without such forms for centuries? And if they did, why would they spend extra days polishing such a form? Is the author of this article aware that no means of tanning involves boiling the shoe on a form? Boiling will stretch out leather- so how did they sew on this "heavy hide" first, only to have it stretch off a form? It does not work that way.
                    I think someone has a big imagination. Or the Indians had a natural stone foot fetish.

Comment

A Globe -and- Mail article from
                      1948 reported that the Pottruffs found a stone moccasin last, arrowheads and
                      flints, and 1837 coins. Since the land north of Five Oaks is owned by gravel pit
                      owners, most are or will probably be destroyed.

Comment

I have been meaning to reply to this thread and just thought my input was not necessry.
                        I still think it is un-necessary but......Blah, Blah, Blah......
                        It's a sex stone.......
                        Nothing more than just an anomly or geofact.
                        Sorry to put it so bluntly but it is what it is.
                        Lots "O" rocks out there that look like something
                        and this one is no exception.
                          Bone2stone
                        It is a "Rock" when it's on the ground.
                        It is a "Specimen" when picked up and taken home.

​Jessy B.
                        Circa:1982

Comment

I found this Indian moccasin foot stay. The so called Mythical object the native Americans didn't have it is man made highly polished and would you imagine it is the same size and shape of a size 12and you could use just this one stone to make 2 moccasins one for each foot and it would work WoW its like the M&M's commercials THEY DO EXIST!!!!!!

Comment

oh YES forgot Wyoming County PA is where I found it along with all my other artifacts!

Comment

that looks like the tool i would use to fix my laptop... not a moccasin mold why you can get them computer made at ll bean!!!
                              North Carolina

Comment

Working...
                              X