Found next town over at a def site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found next town over at a def site!

Possible Lance head on left, with scraper in the middle, and a knife on right?
    Made of a biotite quartz matrix I believe?

These are just rocks, not artifacts.
    Jack

Comment

I'll say it Jack, "I believe" it is hot out, someone is bored and has chosen to post b*****t
      Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

gregszybala wrote:

I'll say it Jack, "I believe" it is hot out, someone is bored and has chosen to post b*****t
          Greg, you never know. Maybe he needs a little education, needs to read a few books on artifacts from his region.
        Jack

Comment

Sorry, as others have said, only rocks. Stick around and see what artifacts look like.
          Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

You may be right Jack, my apologies.
            Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Quartz was not used (very much) in the making of artifacts. The rocks make up is of a larger crystal composite and dose not lend its self to flaking in a consistant mannor. Flint's, Chert's, Quartsite's, Agate's, Chalsedney's and Obsidian have a very tight crystal composite. Compare it to glass (Obsidian is natural glass). When flaking these types of materials the vibration will run through the rock thus taking off smooth flakes. Look at the artifacts that are posted to the site and you will get the many colors and materials used in the making of artifacts. but they all show the same consitancy of the flaking from the artifact. This will take time to train your eye to pick out the correct material. And once you start to find the material you will be well on your way to finding artifacts.
              Look to the ground for it holds the past!

Comment

Chase
                Well said.
                Jack

Comment

I have found some in quartz but not many and balsit also. I have a nice shaft scrapper I found last month made out of white quartz. Quartzite is a regular find for me,alot of scrappers all types mostly. And one really large knife/scrapper not sure which it is. 4" long and 3" wide and sharpened and flacked on 1 side only.

Comment

Working...
                  X