Just started....what did I find?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just started....what did I find?

Think I found something. It looks like a small bowl or something...what do you all think? :laugh:

Hello Adriel, hope you had a nice holiday. I am not an expert but I think you just have a geofact. A rock shaped by common erosion by Mother Nature. Sorry to say, but don't think that is an artifact at all. Wish I could tell you different.

Comment

Hi Adriel, what you have is probably a geofact. Keep on looking for soon if you hit the right place at the right time you find an artifact.

Comment

Looks like a piece of sandstone that has weathered out to that shape. They will be found in all kinds of shapes and sizes in areas with sandstone, and are often mistaken for artifacts.

Comment

Oh well.     Back to the field.
          Thanks everybody!
          I am wondering, are there certain rock types I can automatically rule out?
          I am curious about limestone and sandstone.

Comment

There are a variety of artifacts made of sandstone. Limestone I don't know - I'm sure the ancients used everything that was available to them. Maybe someone else can speak of limestone artifacts???

Comment

Adriel the best advise I can give you is study photos of other authentic artifacts. The ancients by area seem to be pretty consistent in design or at least close in what they used made from hardstone. Though there will be differences somewhat there should be similarities. My own story starting out, I live in Ohio and hunted arrowheads. Occasionally I would pick up what I thought was a weird rock and cast it aside. Eventually I purchased a book of Ohio artifacts and found that I was leaving good stuff behind!!! A painful experience to say the least. Hope this helps you in your quest and saves you the pain I experienced. Good Luck Bill

Comment

Thanks for all the info
                I need to start looking for a book.  Are there any good on-line references for the area around SW Pennsylvania that anyone knows of? 
                I left some limestone stuff behind the last time I went, but it seemed to me that ever time I found a piece of limestone it looked like an artifact so I just assumed that it naturally breaks apart in perfect flats and sharp points. The sandstone in my area is SO annoying too, so much of it...sandstone, clay, limestone, and red dog seems to be the majority here...

Comment

The Overstreet arrowhead price guide does a fairly good job with the region you live in. Search it online.  There are other more detailed resources, such as Ohio Flint Types, that probably apply to your region too.

Comment

Cool Thanks! I will go out and grab that book tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                    X