No announcement yet.

North Texas Skinning or Scraping Tool?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• North Texas Skinning or Scraping Tool?

Is this something? What are the chances this is a random or natural flake or chip? It looks like it could be used for skinning an animal. I found it amongst "river rock" that a landscaper added to my side yard in Irving, Texas.

Welcome from east Tn!
    Sorry but there is no sign of it being worked or altered. Just a Rock, keep up the search!
    Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Yes, welcome to the forum.

​As Kyflintguy says, it doesn't show any sign of having been altered. What we look for (even for simple knife/scraper tools) is some sign of "secondary working". Almost any flake taken off a larger rock that has a sharp edge could (in theory) be used for a task such as skinning an animal. What distinguishes broken rocks from artefacts is that the initial flaking is refined by a series of smaller flakes taken off the working edge to improve the shape of the tool and the performance of its cutting edge.

​Keep looking and have a look around the various forum sections too. You'll soon see what to look for.
      I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

• sailorjoe
        sailorjoe commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi PH. I really like it when our "old salt" forum members respond with detailed educational remarks as did you to folks who are only joining in order to post questions about their finds. In that way the forum is providing real educational service to folks who have no knowledge of lithic archeology.

Thanks, guys. I have something better in a box somewhere...trying to find it....

Comment

Anxious to see your finds.
        South Dakota

Comment

Working...
        X