Is this a flake knife?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a flake knife?

As my quest for knowledge continues, let me ask this group another question. This appears to be uniface, possibly from a flake. One side appears to be worked, but I can't tell if it's secondary flaking or as a result of percussion strikes. Do you guys think this is a tool, or just a result of knapping?
    I have read that Uniface tools are often a Paleo trait, does this show any signs of that?
    Thanks all…

I am definitely no expert but I fail to see where there is any attempt to thin an edge to make a knife here.
    Hopefully one of the others will correct me and give you the thumbs up on this one.
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

Arrow - I kinda have to agree with Bruce on this one. Most of what I can see appears to be natural breaks or fractures, nothing that resembles man-made flaking or knapping. ...Chuck
      Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Hey Arrow, I agree with the others. I don't see any manipulation by ancient man on the stone.
        Michigan Yooper
        If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

If this was found on a known site or excavated in association with aboriginal items
          it is totally possible this was used as a flake tool, either regularly or expediently.
          ​Microscopic analysis which some people know how to do might reveal some polish, or whatever else
          ​shows use. Maybe you could learn how to do that and report back here!!! I see a couple spots
          ​that show flaked that terminated badly but those could have been made before this flake was removed from its
          ​core. Either way imho it would be hard to say anything more from a photo. Happy hunting!
          New Jersey

Comment

Working...
          X