Slate Savannah River?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slate Savannah River?

Call me crazy but I have always thought this might be a slate Appalachian/Savannah river point that's been hit with a plow a few times. Interested in hearing y'alls opinion on it. You can call me crazy it won't hurt my feelings lol.
    Attached Files

Not sure why anyone would consider you crazy? I don't know the type, or what state you found that in, but the slate from the so-called Carolina slate belt always reminded me of the argillite we find in southern New England, which technically is argillaceous slate, and can make for some pretty crude looking points. So, if your concern is that people will think it's just a rock, I've seen that happen before when folks are not used to finding low quality lithics. But, it looks like an artifact to me. Primarily because I am used to finding low quality lithics in Rhode Island.
    Rhode Island

Comment

• Hoss
      Hoss commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree it looks very similar to the Argillaceous slate found in RI and MA.

Ah, I just now noticed you did indeed post this in "rocks mistakenly believed to be artifacts". Well, all I can say is I have plenty of argillaceous slate flaked artifacts that are artifacts, not rocks. And yes, I will not be surprised if some weigh in with the opinion that it is just a rock. On the other hand, my fellow hunters from Ma and RI know full well how crappy some of our argillaceous slate, argillite that is, artifacts can appear, and may feel your rock is artifactual. We'll see what others say.....
    Rhode Island

Comment

Here is but one example of an argillite(argillaceous slate) blade from Rhode Island. It's an inferior quality lithic, and water worn. I suppose those with no experience with this lithic might think this is simply a rock, but it is an undamaged argillite artifact, and probably the second most common lithic, after quartz, that I find on sites I hunt...

Rhode Island

Comment

In fairness to my own collection, I could show you argillite points that are quite nice. Or, I could show you points like this one. Lol....

Rhode Island

Comment

Thanks for your opinion and input CMD. Awesome find and pic of slate blade! I found my piece in the farthest county west in NC. I have seen other slate blades found in the area but they seem more ground into shape than knapped. I did see one double bit axe found west of me in the Ocoee river area made of high quality slate that was knapped out just like a high silica material. It was quite amazing. This area too is mostly quartz like rocks. I'm thinking now after what you have shared that I may need to train my eyes towards slate. I could be missing artifacts. Thanks again for taking the time to share your opinion and knowledge!

Comment

Nice find thanks for sharing.
            TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Working...
            X