Scratches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scratches

Could a heavy animal like a Mastedon cause these scratches, maybe by steping on it?
    پححعظ شاهبيل

Those marks are to small to have been caused by a "heavy animal " and the way they disappear on the flat part of the rock makes me feel that they are natural inclusions.
    Bruce
    In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

You're basically asking if it is a trace fossil. Like Bruce said, certainly not a large animal. I don't think it's a trace fossil, but I'm not otherwise sure what the marks are....
      Rhode Island

Comment

Originally posted by 2ndoldman View Post
        Those marks are to small to have been caused by a "heavy animal " and the way they disappear on the flat part of the rock makes me feel that they are natural inclusions.
        I don't understand flat part? I think under the rind and petina of the three toed sloth marks, lol, the material could be some kind of quartz. But, I've been known to be wrong. I could see some weird organic plant rot away in it long ago. Good eye.
        پححعظ شاهبيل

Comment

Originally posted by CMD View Post
          You're basically asking if it is a trace fossil. Like Bruce said, certainly not a large animal. I don't think it's a trace fossil, but I'm not otherwise sure what the marks are....
          Three toed sloth, scratched the crap out of it.
          پححعظ شاهبيل

Comment

Kinda like this one...I call it the bear paw... Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1001.JPG
Views:	203
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	256037
            The chase is better than the catch...
            I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

Working...
            X