mudstone/siltstone "sculptures"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mudstone/siltstone "sculptures"

Mudstones from Peace River, FL Often look like sculptures. Just natural, old, hardened, rolled, squirty mud. Fossil hunters often mistake them for coprolites, too.
    Professor Shellman
    Tampa Bay

Totally new area for me Tom. That thumb doesn't quite match your hand but I get the idea. However, aside from the thumb, which is somewhat recognizable, how do you determine the other two were sculpted by man. I can see the smoothed and apparently shaped surfaces on the two items in your last pic but I can't identify anything about the shapes that is familiar. Educate me here. Inquiring minds want to know - ya know
    Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Love the thumb Tom.
      Bruce
      In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

LOL these are pseudofacts or ecofacts. Nature made.
        Professor Shellman
        Tampa Bay

Comment

I thought you was being serious about it being manmade. I was all ready to learn something new. Mother Nature never ceases to amaze me.
          Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

Mother nature sure is an outstanding artist. Thanks for sharing the pics Tom I love that thumb one. LOL
            TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Ahh, the thumb!
              Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Well Tom you have officially changed the way some people would describe their "Rocks".
                It now no longer fits "In the hand" it fits "On the hand".
                I have a bunch of these as well. I pick them up at practically every opportunity.

The one that has an alienesque look to it would sure look good in someone's artefact collection.
                Oh wait it ain't no artefact, it's a specimen of silt stone. Super cool.

Jess B.
                Last edited by Bone2stone; 08-24-2017, 03:39 AM.
                It is a "Rock" when it's on the ground.
                It is a "Specimen" when picked up and taken home.

​Jessy B.
                Circa:1982

Comment

Working...
                X