Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this more than just a plain ol' rock?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this more than just a plain ol' rock?

Click image for larger version

Name:	rock9 [replaced].jpg
Views:	52
Size:	9.8 KB
ID:	214531

I found this triangular rock while on vacation in MN. Each side measures just barely over 1". One side has a groove that goes down the length of it, one side it rough and one is smooth. My Dad says it is just a plain ol' rock - I beg to differ, any opinions

Hi Nikki,
    I agree with you, I don't think it's a plain ol' rock. What you have seems to be a abrasive stone used in a tumbler to debur freshly cut gears. They come in various sizes.

Butch

Comment

I agree with Butch. I have found these in boxes of bolts at work before.
      Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

They also make a great "touch up" sharpening stone for rusty ol' pocketknives. Nice find ya got, hang on to it!
        Butch

Comment

Nikki, Butch clued me in on these about a year ago as well. Found a few, posted them too, disapointed, but hey you live and learn. But you know what, I still have them! On to the real arrowheads, etc. May you find lots of those.
          Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

So are they something to keep? Cause I have found quite a few of them where I hunt and was really wondering what they were myself. Most of mine are 2 inches on the bottom and 1.5 across each side. I never mentioned them cause I figured they were just rocks mothernature stuff. But I still have them.

Comment

They are not artifacts and are not worth anything, but they will sharpen your dull pocketknife! I use mine for touch ups on my Case double X all the time.
              Butch

Comment

I work in a factory and found some in a box of bolts a couple weeks ago. I kept them because they are neat.
                Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

Working...
                X