Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Artifacts Mistakenly Believed to be Rocks!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Artifacts Mistakenly Believed to be Rocks!

This happens both ways if the find is from/on a known site producing other artifacts. These two pieces were imbedded within a shell midden about 2 feet from 2 HUGE shell adzes/mauls. They almost look like nothing, especially to someone who doesn't recognize artifact types or the work on them. If these were found in a parking lot downtown, a construction site....... they'd be rocks. The lighter one is a simple limerock hammer to bash holes in shells to eat. Larger end is worked smooth from that use, can't really get a good pic. The other piece is a plummet preform with very little work done on it but the pecking is obvious along the edge. It's like a siltstone. Both are local materials. If I'd not found these where they were I would never have brought them home. Not schweeet finds but still everyday things among thousands from a village site.
    Professor Shellman
    Tampa Bay

Thanks Tom, I have a blast observing use wear. Out of the ordinary artifacts are very special.
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Thanks for sharing those. Here in the upper Midwest we have loads of glacially deposited rocks that can have the appearance of possible use. You have to take time to look and study to make a determination.
      Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

I imagine rock down there is fairly rare isn’t it?
        Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

We have limerock (chalky to hard), silt/mudstone and sandstones of different grain sizes as sedimentary local stone and chert and agatized coral for the hard rock. Just south of Tampa Bay there is little to no more knappable kinds of rock. The best material is in the center and below the cortex of limerock nodules or occurs in ledges within limerock layers. North of Tampa Bay this state is loaded with killer chert and coral holy cow.
          Professor Shellman
          Tampa Bay

Comment

Hi TC. Great post and very informative.

Comment

Working...
            X