Authentic artifact-paint pot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Authentic artifact-paint pot?

Hi. I was hoping that I have an authentic artifact here but I realize that may not be the case. The person that sold it to me said they found it in Kentucky, face down, hence the preserved paint colors inside. Any opinions would be welcomed. Thank you my friends.

Second pic looks better really shows the depth. Looks like a paint pot to me but I am no expert in that area.

Comment

The rock is a common rock type here in Ohio.  The colors you are seeing are not paint.  That is the natural color of the rock.  The outer portion of the rock is somewhat like a shell.  Many times there will be a smoother rock inside of the shell like casing, which will break away easily, and is a chalky like material.  As for a paint pot?  I would venture to say no, but I don't know very much about paint pots.
      Pam
      PS  The rock may be basalt.
      I located the photo of one of the pieces I found.  It can take on some very odd shapes.

Comment

This is facinating.  I am glad I only paid a few dollars for my 'paint pot' but I'm a rock hound too so it's a nice if not odd addition to my rock collection.  I would have probably never known about that rock type ever.  I really like this website and am glad I found it.  Thank you.

Comment

Im not an expert but Im gonna take a stab at it. Millions of years ago when this rock was a liquid goo (lava) way down below the surface, an air bubble got trapped in the center as it made its way up toward the surface and cooled. This is what created the rounded pocket or bowl which eventually broke while under pressure. The coloring (reds and yellows) are the iron elements that the rock contained. Hopefully Im somewhat right on that! Native  Americans were rock hunters like us and they probably thought this was a cool piece as do I!!

Comment

Im not an expert but Im gonna take a stab at it. Millions of years ago when this rock was a liquid goo (lava) way down below the surface, an air bubble got trapped in the center as it made its way up toward the surface and cooled. This is what created the rounded pocket or bowl which eventually broke while under pressure. The coloring (reds and yellows) are the iron elements that the rock contained. Hopefully Im somewhat right on that! Native  Americans were rock hunters like us and they probably thought this was a cool piece as do I!! B)

Comment

Not a piant pot, just a Vug. They can form in gas bubbles in igneous rocks, such as vesicles in basaltic lavas, or as in the American Midwest, rounded cavities in sedimentary formations. After rock around the cavity hardens, dissolved silicates and/or carbonates are deposited on the inside surface. Over time, this slow feed of mineral constituents from groundwater or hydrothermal solutions allows crystals to form inside the hollow chamber. Bedrock containing geodes eventually weathers and decomposes, leaving them present at the surface if they are composed of resistant material such as quartz.
              Jack

Comment

Working...
              X