Help identifying pottery or steatite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help identifying pottery or steatite

Found this along a deer trail in the mts of West Virginia.not really sure if it's steatite, or if it's like a clay fired.it has some I treating marks,i think maybe cordage,,any help?
    Last edited by tomclark; 02-19-2018, 07:39 AM.

Steatite is a fancy word for soapstone, if you can scratch it with your fingernail and leave a mark or if you scrape a tiny section and you get talc dust then it could be, but honestly it doesn’t have the right look to me.
    call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

So that answers that it's not soapstone.this stuff pretty tough. On the rim looking spot there is a Lil chip off and it shows dark red.like a clay maybe..i don't know anything about pottery tho.first thing I've ever found like it. Is it typeable?

Comment

No probably not. I’m not experienced with pottery at all to be honest, I’ve never personally found any native pottery.
        call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

Me either that's why I was surprised.however after looking at pics online and the markings,they look different than avg to me so it's got me wondering lol.thate the best part about finding these things.to me its a mystery to try n discover

Comment

I find a lot of pottery . Black to red , beige .
            The one thing that makes me not think it’s pottery is the side view . It would look more like sandy clay that was dried because that’s the process , dry then fire it .
            the sides have scars on your piece .
            It almost looks like the outside of a geoid.
            do you find those in your area .

Comment

Looks like a broken piece of a ironstone concretion. http://meteorites.wustl.edu/id/concretions.htm
              TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

There is some scratching from where it was carved on the inside,outside it's a checkers pattern kinda.btm lip has one straight line etched in and like 15 going downward. It's too light to be ironstone and completely diff than a geode.one side is hollowed out,most of the lip is broke..one one spot is a fresh break and it's dark red,almost like a dark red clay.sounds like pottery also.

Comment

My advice Worldman is to take that piece to a local university or museum. Someplace where it can be looked at in hand. That will give you an answer.
                  The chase is better than the catch...
                  I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

Originally posted by Hoss View Post
                    Looks like a broken piece of a ironstone concretion. http://meteorites.wustl.edu/id/concretions.htm
                    I agree with Hoss on this one . I find these on NA camps .
                    The first time I posted one I thought it had a face ...lesson learned . If you want to see pottery look at some of the posts on it .

Comment

Working...
                    X