I have a few items I been wondering about

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a few items I been wondering about

my son and I are big fossil and rock fans. I have always collected heart rocks, and when I lived in Missouri, I found a few pieces that looked interesting and added them to my collection along with a turtle shell I later found out was a native piece and along with the interesting pieces found they were Native American also. My property was untouched and still virgin to any searchers , so I’m sure there’s a lot more to be found. But throughout my travel across the states, I have stopped to collect Souvenir rocks. The latest was in mojave, while searching with my 3 year old. We have found some beautiful mineral pieces, and what looked to be a random area in the middle of nowhere next to a creek.

Looks like a lot of cool agate and some formed in cold water even, petrified wood even some opalized, and some jasper.

Comment

Welcome Ripsollove!

I see some interesting Rocks but I don't see anything I would call Native American artifacts besides a couple flakes that may or may not be debitage in your group shot photo. Keep up the hunt!
      Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

Wait? " a turtle shell I later found out was a native piece " how did you come by that information later? You mentioned the Mojave desert. A lot of area there is National Park or BLM lands and off limits to collecting. Were yo collecting on -private lands with permission or jsut walking around picking stuff up?
        TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• Ripsollove
          Ripsollove commented
          Editing a comment
          The turtle shell I found on my property in Missouri. I had taken it to a pond and trade shop in Nixa and the guy that worked there told me a couple of the arrows and a Speer was Native American, but he couldn’t tell what tribe or how old. And also mentioned to me the shell most likely was also if it was found with them. the only thing I grabbed from mojave was in the first pic I posted. I wasn’t in any protected area. I won’t steel. And I won’t risk anything with my son with me. I can post my exact location. It was 2 or three exits passed the town of Tehachapi. My friend works the railroad out there and told me about a water way that was dried up and good for rock finding. So the 3rocks I grabbed were the ones in the 1st pic. And they were in a pile laying at the top of the creek or water way. All the other pics were items from Jackson and calaveras and Missouri.

• Hoss
          Hoss commented
          Editing a comment
          your first picture if a pile of rocks. No artifacts there at all. Share some pictures of what you found in Missouri. This is arrowheads.com we want to see your arrowheads and spears too. By the way there is no way a guy at a pond trade show will be able to determine if your turle shell is old or not???

• AndyinMO
          AndyinMO commented
          Editing a comment
          Jackson MO? That's cool, I'm from Chaffee!

Thank u for the responses also. I’m always waiting to come across the day I find something worth something. I’ll keep waiting for that day I guess lol

Comment

Many people get caught up in the collecting aspect and potential values versus the rescuing of any artifact. I have a friend who frequently makes referencees to"jeopardy points". Those are the type I usually encounter. Sometimes i get lucky and find them before the tool can. Agates can be quite valuable but I think the joy of finding something beautiful or anything deemed interesting to ponder over can out-weigh value. Some people can find an artifact anytime they go to look. It seems to me that creating memories with your child is most important anyways.
          Last edited by Jarmyvicious; 03-25-2018, 03:33 AM. Reason: Ran two sentences together, had to make a repair.

Comment

This is not a bear it is a hunk of ledge quartz . Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (5).png
Views:	229
Size:	825.3 KB
ID:	292990
            TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

what exactly were you wondering about this Ava Missouri find? It looks like two rocks to me. Click image for larger version  Name:	wy1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	85.1 KB ID:	292992
              Last edited by Hoss; 03-26-2018, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	204.gif
Views:	147
Size:	587.1 KB
ID:	292994

Comment

Going to move your post to the section called rocks presumed to be artifacts.

Comment

I didn’t mean value as of money wise. I apologize if I offended anyone by that comment. I am a collector of antiques and history. I don’t sell anything, I save everything of history value. Or sentimental value. And when I say worth something, I mean something that is actually something more than just a rock. I’m waiting for the day I find a true piece of artifact.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Still waiting to see arrowheads and spear point . I see some flakes that may be waste flakes one quartz point whch may or may not be anything. better pictures might help. I also see a lot of rocks. Rocks rocks and more rocks. Again the is arrowheads.com . There are websites that show rocks and call it art. That is not here. Go back to there and sell them your rocks. See if you even get a response from them!

Comment

Your topic has been moved to a more appropriate category. " Rocks Mistakenly Believed to be Artifacts"

Comment

Working...
                            X