Worked stone or not from MA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worked stone or not from MA

Hey Greg. It looks to have some outer core broken off to reveal a nice looking lithic. I dont see any thing that looks worked but those last three pics remind of the former Old Man on the Mountain in New Hampshire...it does look like a face...nice gift from Mother Nature...
    The chase is better than the catch...
    I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

I would like to more about what context in which it was found. HST, it looks like a river rock with the cortex broken off and no signs of purposeful human work.

Comment

The rock was found where on a golf course where I work and is not alone. The course was built on one of the thousands of rock pile sites here in New England. The only way the rock got from a river to where I found it was if the guy who knapped the face into it carried it there. I can post some more pics of stuff but if you can't accept that for what it then it's no use. Thanks for the replies. The piece is about a quarter cortex so to me that it was worked is obvious.

Comment

The glacier carried and spilled rock all over southern New England and explains why a lot of the rocks we find inland here are nice and rounded off. That’s just a normal rock and certainly doesn’t have a face carved into it. Native religious and artistic artifacts are usually very well made. Keep up the search though, Mass is loaded with sites that you can find actual artifacts at, and a lot of good info is available online to help begin your search, good luck!
          call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

The second rock is waterworn and eroded, it is in no way a native artifact

Comment

I can keep them coming if anyone cares. Use your eyes don't listen to what phony experts say.

Comment

Just recent pics from my phone if you keep trying to be a bully I'll get some of the good stuff out of the basement lol

Comment

• OnewiththewilD
                  OnewiththewilD commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hey I like that first one, it looks like a Zuni bear! Or maybe even a buffalo! ( not a bison a buffalo)

Click image for larger version

Name:	popcorn.gif
Views:	113
Size:	484.1 KB
ID:	301298
                TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Sir, I stand corrected, I mean... what do I know right. Being a local collector of fine and authentic prehistoric artifacts such as yourself you sir have taught me something new today, I never knew there existed a class of local artifacts such as these. You might be onto something big here, you should take them over to the Robbins museum in middleboro, I bet the phony experts over there would also be blown away by your revolutionary new finds! Good luck and keep up your search, I hope your able to find a whole basement full.

Comment

It wont even be full til the 29th? https://www.moongiant.com/calendar/
                  TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• OnewiththewilD
                    OnewiththewilD commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I must just be bored tonight to even bother, lol

He is probably looking for a new forum now. Maybe a rock forum? Going to move this topic to Rocks mistaken for artifacts.

Comment

Geez, they just keep coming! If he had continued I almost expected him to start arguing with himself. What gives with these Rock Guys? 😳
                    Child of the tides

Comment

I am sorry that I missed out on all of the fun.
                      Bruce
                      In life there are losers and finders. Which one are you?

Comment

I saw "MA" and I was like..... "Oh?!?"
                        Then I saw the post and I was like.... "oooh."

Comment

• OnewiththewilD
                          OnewiththewilD commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Ha! That’s what I was thinking too, you know at first I really was trying to help the guy too
                      Working...
                      X