Any ideas on type.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any ideas on type.

Found these but it seems to be like charcoal. It is black in color. Flint maybe ?

Not Flint, definitely something burnt, untelling what? Not an artifact or something you could type... You should take some time to get familiar with what actual artifacts from your area look like and are made from.
    Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

More pieces ?

Comment

Sorry I’m not seeing anything that resembles an artifact. It looks like some kind of charred material
        call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

• Krrocks17
          Krrocks17 commented
          Editing a comment
          I am confused because they are shaped like projectiles. Its like a hard wood burned. No it does not flake off.

When using the term "charcoal", are you saying the material is soft like a charcoal briquet? Does it crumble or flake? Because clearly charcoal-like is not flint nor could it be knapped. Can you be more specific because you've got us scratching our heads.
        Child of the tides

Comment

I also have this piece. Burned on one side but its shaped like a point. Have you heard of things like this. These pieces I found digging at a tree line that had a compost bank near a river.

Comment

I have found some charcoal similar and also graphite at sites and believe it could have been used as a pugment. Definitely charcoal briquette is best description

Comment

Don’t get confused by looking for shapes. Your best bet to getting into this hobby is to first learn the types of lithics used in your state/ local area and learn to spot them.Then spend some time online looking at pictures of actual artifacts from your state and become familiar with what they look like. Taking these steps will greatly help narrow down what your looking for an save you from wasting your time on the stuff that’s not artifacts.
              call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

Working...
              X