Looking for the name of a tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for the name of a tool

I've been looking for the name of a specific type of tool. The artifacts in question have several tools on them, sort of like an ancient Swiss Army knife. They have an abrader, spokeshave, and a rabbit(usually). What they also have is a blunt point that ends just under the tip of the index finger. This is the tool I would like to find a name for. My best guess is that it works kind of like a thimble. I have seen many examples in many collections, but no one names them or seems to know what they were used for. Here is a pic of one of them. Pics of yours would be great too. Thank you

Sorry, but unless someone once hit someone else over the head with that, it is just a natural rock. It is not knapped and has no tools on it, unless you count squinting your eyes and imagining it in outline.

Comment

Greetings; I have been around artifacts all my life. I have never seen a artifact like that. I just have to call it a rock!! Indian craftsman made nice well shaped tools and you can tell them a first glance. Even simple hammers were well shaped and smooth. The working edge very easy to tell. Your rock shows none of the signs of mans hand. I would just use that as a paper weight.

Comment

It's hard for me to see with any detail...I can't seem to get your pic to enlarge enough for me to see what you are calling tools. At first glance and I hate to say this but it resembled a fetus.???? Could the markings have any significance, could they be ancient artwork or symbols or are they just as they appear to be...marks that were made over time  from movement -and- wear?

Comment

Sorry I took so long to get back.  The holidays have been hectic to say the least.  I hope your holidays were well spent. 
          Well, I went back to the books and I'll be danged, it is a rock, a pretty red jasper at that.  I don't know how I missed that.  It also does make a great paper weight.  You guys are so smart.  And to be able to come to such a firm conclusion from just a doctored picture, it's almost magical your keen eyes.  As far as hitting someone over the head with it, well that never crossed my mind until I read your post Cliff.  I suppose I should just disregard the opinions of the curators of the 2 museums I've taken it to.  Oh and one of the biggest collectors in my area.  Also the rock shops I have taken it to.  After all they didn't have this grainy picture to make their judgment,  they were only able to actually hold it.  The fact is that these are very complicated, and need to be examined in person. (That is if you want to state an opinion of any value.)  So far "everyone" I have sat down with and showed these to has been amazed.  I'm sorry I can't do that in this forum.  However I do leave a standing invitation to anyone in the Eugene Oregon area that wants to form an informed opinion.
          By the way, the original question was never addressed.  It was meant to be generic, and pertained to a specific tool, not necessarily the pic I posted, although it is one.  "What would you call  a tool that runs out under the index finger and terminates in a blunt point similar to a stone finger tip.  Something besides a nutter or hammer stone?"

Comment

You asked a question based on a picture. If you don't like the answers, don't ask questions, just go on back to your "curators"for your expert opinions. Maybe they have some pictures from their museums of more of these stone finger tips or whatever they call them?

Comment

Calm down Turbo.  I didn't realize you were so sensitive.  It's not a matter of like or dislike of your opinion.  I just have very good reason to disagree.  Now if you can't handle someone disagreeing with your opinion, then why are you giving it in this forum?

Comment

Go ahead and show us where it is worked and how it was made and used. Impart your wisdom.

Comment

Still avoiding the question I see.  Is that how "you" impart "your" wisdom?  I just asked a question, which you still haven't answered.
                  Look Cliff it's clear that you're upset, and I'm sorry for that.  But get over it.
                  I regret not having more pics to show you.  My cameras are down.  The chargers have not been found since my last move.  The only pics I have now are very old. 
                  There is a book, I believe it is called "Picture Book Of the Stone Age."  I don't know the authors name right off, but I believe he lives in Norway, and came from Oregon.  There is also a film called the "Medicine Taxi." It was put out by some of the Takilma Tribe.  I have seen other examples of this in reference to the Dorset culture.

Comment

Well James Powers, you are incorrect in several assumptions. I'm not at all upset that you see effigies in rocks. I could care less what you think.
                    Your profile explains it all- you're one of those- that's just fine, you are an expert on these rock squinters, "one of a handful".......
                    "About me
                    I am an avid rockhound, and collector of unusual ancient artifacts. I am one of a handful of people who can read and understand the ancient effigies to be found here in the north west. I am always on the lookout for more information on this subject, and happy to share what I know with others who are interested.
                      Read more: james powers : A tiny pebble cast into a raging river will forever change it's course."
                    BTW, James Powers, a tiny pebble cast into a raging river will come up looking something like your jasper rock.
                    Deep stuff, LMAO.

Comment

Their real really I found one. Stone effigies are real !!!! Just not seen any here yet so I will try to post a photo of the one I found.

Comment

All those shiny stars and that stuff around your avatar...You know, when I look at your picture and squint I see an...
                        ...what kind of looks like a shrine you've put around yourself.  You must think pretty highly of yourself.  Are you really smarter than the rest of us?  Don't get me wrong, I'm sure you know a lot, but even your mighty intellect must have it's limits.
                        If and when I post a thread on effigies it will be on my terms. I suppose you'll have something rude to say then too, the world is full of angry people.  What can you do?
                        It seems to me that you are far more interested in making this personal, and though I'll admit it's tempting, and I do apologize for my part in that, that's not what I'm here for.  Responding to you at this point is pointless.  Even with all your "infinite wisdom," you still didn't answer my question.

Comment

Happy New Year guys  :laugh:  :woohoo:  :woohoo:  :cheer:

Comment

The answer to your direct question- AGAIN- Read this really slowly, James Powers- it is a R-O-C-K altered by Mother Nature and not by man. But you can call it the Mona Lisa if you like, it's all yours.
                            Wildhorse- of course there are effigies, there have been thousands found, and they always show work by man. However not all rocks that somehow sort of resemble something were worked by man.

Comment

Cliff is right. It's just a rock.
                              Wildhorse I love the effigy. :lol:  :silly:  :lol:  :silly:

Comment

Working...
                              X