5 Cent Tourist Points

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 Cent Tourist Points

I have never knapped anything like this and never will. I post these for educational purposes only. Most of us have seen points like this but I would like to list a few observations: The points are crudely knapped and yet the corner notches are very fine. Many times the notch is started with a large flake that is then completed with very fine flakes in the middle of that large flake. The materials are exotic. There is no patina. Sometimes the point is unifaced. The base is just as sharp as the blade edge.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	5 Cent Points.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	318393
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Good post and good timing for the post...
    The chase is better than the catch...
    I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

• Ron Kelley
      Ron Kelley commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Frank, We can all learn from other members here. That is the number one reason I am on Arrowheads.com: To learn more about ancient artifacts... And Fakes.

I see those all the time in antique shops listed as real. How do they get the notch so thin?
    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

That's a good question KP. Why are the notches done so well but the rest is so crudely done...Im no knapper but it seems that the notches are about the hardest part...
    The chase is better than the catch...
    I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

And Ron has helped us ...Hey I have that red color with the black , what is that ?

Comment

• Ron Kelley
        Ron Kelley commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey Tamara, None of this rock came from America.

• Andy W.
        Andy W. commented
        Editing a comment
        This is from India. Yours must be Coastal Plains chert.(more than likely)

A few year's back I was at a Gift Shop that had all the boxes of pyrite,turquoise ETC. and also The Arrowheads. These had "drill notches", another method.
      http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

a lot of them have the notches put in with a hand held grinder,thats why they are so narrow
        only as wide as the cutting wheel.

in a small town north of me about 25 minutes,there is a gift shop thats been there as long as i can remember
        my grandma use to take us there when we were very young,as they lived in the outskirts of the town on a farm and we spent our summers there.

last time i was in there,they had several bowls full of these points,advertised them as "real indian arrow heads"
        the only thing that was real indian about them was the fact they were made in india.

some beautiful materials,but definitely not from this continent

Comment

• Ron Kelley
          Ron Kelley commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Tim, A cutting wheel makes sense. I will try that just to compare.

• Ron Kelley
          Ron Kelley commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey Tim, The beautiful materials was one of the first things i noticed. I wish I had some of these materials to knap.

Thanks Rom , totally clueless of Euro lithics well not Lapis and such . Have a hard enough time learning US

Comment

• Ron Kelley
          Ron Kelley commented
          Editing a comment
          Make in India but sold in the U.S.

Good post Ron, I struggled to find a good example of these onsite to use as an informative link. This will fix that. I always did want to buy these anytime I was at a giftshop when I was younger lol. They always charged 50 cents to a dollar or more a piece lol so quite the markup, Dang tourist traps!
        Josh (Ky/Tn collector)

Comment

• Ron Kelley
          Ron Kelley commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Josh, I bought them knowing they were modern India points. Certainly easier to learn with them in hand.

Those things are made in Khambat India by the thousands and sold ever where in U.S. and I can't believe people have not seen them and recognize them. all I have seen have the dovetail like notch that is crushed in and the area around looks different than any reproduction I have seen. I have seen them on other forms also where people pick them up in fields and post them as real and end results is not usually good when they are told what they are.
        South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

• Ron Kelley
          Ron Kelley commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Johnny, Yes I think the notches are the easiest thing to ID them. You make a good point that they are very close to the same shape.
      Working...
      X