Colorful rock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colorful rock

Picked this one up down the river where I kick in SW Connecticut. After flooding rain ..hadda bring it home..any ideas on it? Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181013_160422.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	325440 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181013_160422.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	325441 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181013_155859.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	325442 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181013_155137.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	325443 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181013_153034.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	325444 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181013_101857.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	325445

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20181013_160422.jpg Views:	1 Size:	64.4 KB ID:	325423 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20181013_155859.jpg Views:	1 Size:	68.3 KB ID:	325424 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20181013_155137.jpg Views:	1 Size:	44.8 KB ID:	325425 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20181013_153034.jpg Views:	1 Size:	40.0 KB ID:	325426 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20181013_153858.jpg Views:	1 Size:	69.9 KB ID:	325429 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20181013_101857.jpg Views:	1 Size:	48.8 KB ID:	325427 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20181013_153553.jpg Views:	1 Size:	63.0 KB ID:	325428
    Last edited by Hoss; 10-13-2018, 05:07 PM.
    SW Connecticut

It's an igneous rock, probably in the granite family. The pinkish areas are definitely feldspar. On this page you can enlarge the pink colored rock to get an idea of granite that's rich in feldspar:

Granite is the most widespread of igneous rocks, underlying much of the continental crust.  Granite is an intrusive igneous rock. Intrusive rocks form
    Rhode Island

Comment

Thanks for the input Charlie...yeah that pic on the site looks just like it. I never found granite like this. Hadda keep this one
      SW Connecticut

Comment

That is very colorful! A keeper for sure.
        "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

Looks like feldspar to me too.
          TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• redrocks
            redrocks commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for make em bigger Matt

I've seen headstones made from that granite in the cemetery when I was Sexton. It sure is pretty when it's polished. By the way Red - I like that Gibson cup and particularly that sunburst guitar. My brother and I were into music in our younger days and we had a Gibson J45 with that sunburst color. Nice.
          Pickett/Fentress County, Tn - Any day on this side of the grass is a good day. -Chuck-

Comment

• redrocks
            redrocks commented
            Editing a comment
            That's awesome he still does it. I play with my buddies now and then my old Gibson was a tobacco sunburst..you still strum at all?

• Scorpion68
            Scorpion68 commented
            Editing a comment
            Aaaahhhhhhh Not so much anymore. I still have a guitar (Yamaha acoustic, which actually isn't a bad guitar) but many years ago my left hand, particularly my 1st and middle finger met with a 7.5inch skillsaw blade while doing a construction project and I haven't really been able to chord very well. Maybe I should try it right hand. That's a laugh - I had enough trouble with my left hand.

• redrocks
            redrocks commented
            Editing a comment
            What a coincidence Chuck my left forefinger met with a table saw blade last Christmas and it don't bend completely ...and you know what that does...man that's a good idea polishing that rock I bet it's gorgeous .thanks Chuck

in the area i from in MN we have lots and lots of granite quarries that produce many colors of granite

i too would say its in the granite family

its so common in my area that i never give it a second look.we call it leaverite material

as in leave er right there lol

Comment

Well your rock trash is my rock treasure haha none a my fellow kickers have a pretty rock like that
            SW Connecticut

Comment

• redrocks
              redrocks commented
              Editing a comment
              I like that leaverite material ..that's a good one man

• Scorpion68
              Scorpion68 commented
              Editing a comment
              Hey Red - Ya otta see if you can get it polished. Ya wanna see something real purdy. I'm telling ya - it's gorgeous stuff.

Seems like I am always in standby mode to plug my home state. In this particular instance I am going to say, that although New Hampshire is known as "The Granite State", the finest and probably most famous granite in the United States is from Westerly, RI, our western-most town, bordering Pawcatuck, Ct. In fact the two towns are usually thought of as twin towns, seperated by the Pawcatuck River, serving as the boundary between the two states at that point. Famous for its Atlantic beaches today(and everybody from Ct. uses RI beaches in the Summer, lol), Westerly was once the center of the granite industry where monumental sculpture was concerned. Civil War battlesites are replete with monuments made from this finest of monumental granite. And that's my RI plug for this week, lol...

http://www.unitedbuilderssupply.com/...y_granite.aspx

http://www.providencejournal.com/bre...nationwide.ece

Civil War monuments made of Westerly granite:

http://www.babcocksmithhouse.org/Gra...lWarIndex.html

Last edited by CMD; 10-14-2018, 09:46 AM.
            Rhode Island

Comment

Thanks Charlie interesting I love the color on this rock
              SW Connecticut

Comment

Hey Red, Whenever i see orthoclase feldspar I have to take a second long look. That's some beautiful stuff.
                Michigan Yooper
                If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Thanks Ron when I got it home and cleaned it up I must looked at this Rock for hours hahaha I found it at a known NA camp along the river . I'm thinking an NA hadda have possession of this rock. That pink is awesome
                  SW Connecticut

Comment

• redrocks
                    redrocks commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks for the geology lesson too
                Working...
                X