Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spending way to much time in the creek...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spending way to much time in the creek...

...and probably boring the pants of you all with my relentless posting and questions.

In spite of that, I'll post these two 'just rocks' that nature designed to fool me.

The pointy one is maybe slate or granite. I spotted it at the bottom of a deep pool earlier in the year when water was higher, faster and much colder.

In the grip of lithic fever and thoroughly convinced it was a big lanceolate, I stripped off and took the plunge.

I knew I was mistaken the second I plucked it off the rocky bottom.

Bitterly cold and disappointed, I shivered and cussed all the way home.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190520_184141.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	208.6 KB
ID:	368375

Name:	20190520_184146.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	246.3 KB
ID:	368376

Then there is this very heavy club-like hunk of whatever.

It's an interesting shape that, at the time, I thought could possibly be something.

Now I realize that it's not.

Keeping it anyway because I love cool rocks.

Name:	20190521_184133.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	368377

Name:	20190521_184125.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	368378

California

I’d prolly brought it home too, heck I try to bring everything home.. Then I look closer to see if it is artifactual !
    Lubbock County Tx

Comment

That second one is interesting. If you picked it up in a field I would think theres a definite possibility but coming from a creek its probably water worn. Water and millions of years can really create some coincidental shapes. I have several that I brought home just because of the coincidental resemblance. Have you found artifacts in that creek before ? Post some pics of the edges...you may have something there...
      The chase is better than the catch...
      I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

Hey Baba,

Almost everything I find comes from a two mile stretch of seasonal creek in Napa County, Ca.

I've found a lot of obsidian debitage , a number of points, hopper mortar, nutting stones and a pestle.

So there are artifacts to be found here.

This rock, which seems volcanic, is probably not, but you can see why I was intrigued. Click image for larger version

Name:	20190521_184143.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	235.2 KB
ID:	368456

Here are two more pics.

Name:	20190521_184202.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	368455
        Attached Files
        California

Comment

Anybody that looks in creeks can probably say they get fooled I know I do. Put it in my pocket then get home and look at it and say why’d I even pick this up then throw it over my back fence
          NW Georgia,

Comment

Isn’t the long one some type of hoe or what !?!?

Comment

• tomf
              tomf commented
              Editing a comment
              No, I don't think so.

At first I thought it might be a pestle or maybe a war club and though it has a intriguing shape, it just doesn't have enough evidence to say it's an artifact at all.

Well at least you must have felt refreshed!
            South Dakota

Comment

i would have been on both of them rocks, deep water or not. if you dont grab at stuff like that you are going to walk by some great artifacts. one creek i hunt is full of gray, blue and black blade shaped slabs of smooth clay. i grab at all them and tree bark, brick chips, rusted iron you just dont know till you put you fingers on it.

Comment

Originally posted by toccopola View Post
                i would have been on both of them rocks, deep water or not. if you dont grab at stuff like that you are going to walk by some great artifacts. one creek i hunt is full of gray, blue and black blade shaped slabs of smooth clay. i grab at all them and tree bark, brick chips, rusted iron you just dont know till you put you fingers on it.
                Absolutely true.

I find tree bark to be highly deceptive.

Touch to know, right?
                California

Comment

Working...
                X