The ever increasing portable rock art fraud

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The ever increasing portable rock art fraud

I have noticed on ebay, that more and more rocks are being sold as "portable rock art". It is the dumbest thing I have ever heard in my life. Sellers are having folks pay $20 or more for a rock, claiming it to be a Native American carving, when obviously it is not!

I mean look at this!

Click image for larger version

Name:	764f3aaf50d0536eaf7587f4db70c6b6--paleolithic-art-rock-art.jpg
Views:	1656
Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	368792

With a little bit of imagination, one may be able to see a head. Native American carved? Certainly not!

Name:	bf2.jpg
Views:	2409
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	368793

Could you believe someone stated that this was portable rock art? If that is the case, I am sitting on millions of dollars worth!

Name:	s-l300.jpg
Views:	1216
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	368794

This was being sold on ebay as "an old village woman rock art carving". What?

Name:	s-l1600 (22).jpg
Views:	1454
Size:	214.6 KB
ID:	368795

This was being sold as a "Native American axe effigy". What!? Excuse me? Couldn't they just make a real axe head instead of an effigy!? That doesn't even make sense!

Name:	s-l1600 (20).jpg
Views:	1770
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	368796

This was being sold as a rock art tool. I beg to differ.

Name:	s-l1600 (21).jpg
Views:	1480
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	368797

This was sold as "bear claw effigy hand carved by a shaman". If that's the case, I am sitting on the mother load of shaman carvings.

I find this disturbing. Innocent people being duped into this is not a joke. People are actually paying for this tripe, and they get furious, or at least annoyed when somebody tells them the truth. I believe ebay should work harder at stopping fakers and money grabbers for duping people out of their money. Sell them as rocks, not as Native American history.

"The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

I know, it's crazy. Every time I look for NA tools or Paleo tools on the internet, I think to myself, oh I have a 100 of those. And that's looking on reputable web sites not ebay. I have looked on eBay just to see what they are selling and thought good grief!😬
    South Carolina

Comment

Kentucky. Yes it’s mind blowing how people are paying big $$ for silly obvious fraudulent Artifacts like you’ve highlighted . I’m an old Western Artifact Guy.last 10-15 years- There’s so much faked Obsidian Arrowheads with clearly obvious fresh chipping fractures -listed on Ebay and people gobble it up!

Comment

There's one born every minute.
        Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Ethan !
          This is very disturbing ! How do I get a eBay acct and start selling all the weird stuff that I’ve picked up over a lifetime ?
          Lubbock County Tx

Comment

I used to be part of the "meteorite posse" of meteorite collectors who would write to folks selling meteorwrongs on eBay, but after awhile it just grew too tiresome. eBay does offer a money back guarentee if the item "is not as described", and really, that's putting it on the buyer to say "this is not an effigy". It's impossible to save people from themselves sometimes. There are a lot of rocks being sold as artifacts on eBay. I shake my head reading good feedback comments left by people who have bought rocks of that sort. Usually it's not a lot of money, but even though it's a shame, people are responsible for the choices they make, just as the seller is getting away with fraud. But the form of money back eBay came up with is really their substitute for policing every category, which I believe would be an impossible task.

It’s automatic and covers your purchase price plus original shipping on eligible purchases* and there’s no extra fee for coverage. Follow these steps to get your refund.
            Rhode Island

Comment

But, where do you lay the blame or responsibility? Is it the person selling the obvious just rocks, not really, they can offer what ever they want. The final responsibility comes down to the person buying. Why are people still so uneducated they don't recognize natural just rocks, and continue to buy this stuff! As long as they continue to buy, some one will continue to sell these "artifakes ". Let them post anything they want, it's us, as collectors, who need to stop buying! A ton of people, including myself, have been spreading this advice for the last 30 years, but it doesn't seem to matter. IF YOUR GOING TO COLLECT ARTIFACTS FROM ANY OF THE MARKETS, YOU NEED TO EDUCATE YOURSELF ABOUT WHAT TRUE MAN MADE ARTIFACTS LOOK LIKE. " Ebay doesn't care. They're raking in tens of thousands of dollars in fees every month. That's why certain sellers get away with selling fake Clovis, birdstones, banners, ll the high end valuable types. But, people continue to buy! Educating yourself in this hobby is not rocket science, and there isn't any need for a collage diploma. Apparently, the sellers were born without a conscience, and they will gladly take your money. I could probably sell a handful of driveway gravel, and market it for the stones used in Iroquois turtle rattles, and very rare!! Maybe I'll try it!!
              http://www.ravensrelics.com/

Comment

Working...
              X