Introduction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Introduction

For years I've picked up rocks on the family farms or on vacation. Whether it was color or shape or they looked as though they just didn't belong I'd pick'em up and store them for future reference. Recently retired I've spent some time reliving the past through some of the stuff I collected. Some of the rocks might be of some significance and I thought this would be a place to get educated. My interest was piqued when I saw a picture from a museum of a piece of chert very similar to one I have had for years. I picked it up due to its size and the fact very little "flint" was found on the farm I grew up on, the website picture was labelled polyhedral blade core, so after all these years I'm trying to learn why it is I may have been inclined to pick up all this stone....

Take them back and let them be free! We arent a rock site but a arrowhead and altered rock by a Indians hand to make something with it. There is a big difference. I like the color in rocks but those look drab to me. I am not trying to be mean but if it hasnt even been chipped by a human I dont want to see it. The title of this site is ARROWHEADS.com not rocks.com

Comment

Welcome to the forum.  Now be nice Eagle/Bear.  You need to eat your own words my friend.  95% of what you have posted on the forum and your photos section are nothing but rocks.  "if it hasn't been chipped by a human I don't want to see it".  Well we've experienced plenty of non-artifacts that you've posted, so give the guy a break.  If you really feel that way, take the rock photos off your page, and keep the two that are artifacts for us to enjoy.  Post away rd1550, hopefully we can help you learn what can go in the garden and what needs to be in a case.

Comment

LOL, RD, we don't give newbies any slack hahahahha. :lol:   I saw some definite worked pieces in there.  A hammerstone/core, maybe a scraper, too, and some debitage.  Most are rocks but you have a few that should be separated from the chaff and take a closer look at.  It's hard to view them as attachments and comment on particular ones,  but they are in there.  Last pic, middle back dark item.
        Second pic clockwise from upper left the first second and third (under the tan long thing).  First pic, top right of center dark item.  All look worked to me.
        Welcome to this site!
        Professor Shellman
        Tampa Bay

Comment

Welcome Randy, well it looks like you have received 180 degrees of hello! As you can see it can get ugly, but not likely. We do police ourselves as well, so generally very polite.
          Maybe pics of specific pieces with descriptions etc., will help us help you.
          Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Welcome to the forum.
            Jack

Comment

think i seen a nutting stone in the first pic....but the rest look like rocks to me.....maybe a few have been hit by the plow and they look like someone might have been working on them....im not an expert(only been doing this a couple of months) but i know that when you see a rock laying on the ground....your heart will skip a beat when its an arrowhead or tool....thats when ya pull out the peace pipe and smoke with your ancestors!!!!!!

Comment

hahahaha, yep, nothin like finding a point and sitting down to thank the gods with your peace pipe!

Comment

Welcome from Central Illinois
                  Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

got back on to acknowledge the kind reception and duplicated the post.. if you can't tell this is all new to me..nice to have all these understanding types to point me in the right direction

Comment

Opinions are what I signed up for, xpecially the informed variety. The land my parents left me in Texas, the Yucatan, Pacific Northwest and a few other spots is where I've drug stuff home from. I learned long ago that if you put stuff in the overhead bins that had live sea critters in them recently, everybody on the plane will know it when the AC kicks on. The property I roam doesn't look special but it drew Europeans, myraid bands/tribes of Amerindians a few still remain. Mustangs, the animal and the grape, water, the Brazos, Nolan and many confluences all which now are just dirt paths on my little section brought cultures of days gone by. Three spinster sisters born and raised on the place, the eldest was close to 70 about 1965 played hell with the artifacts..no mom, dad gone with gulf oil most of the year. I took me a while to figure out why so much native stuff but no points to speak of.. My neighbor to the north is a healthy 94, his older brother just recently passed (the spirits didn't get him for his transgressions as a youngster) unsuccessfully attempted to disturb that better left alone as kids. Anyway my point being, three unsupervised girls with 8 males on neighboring farms. Like a raccoon what these boys didn't eat they messed up.  They used the stone implements for parchment, don't know how many hoes, choppers and such i've picked up that had Seniors 1923 or bj hearts ew hacked, ground or pecked in them.  A couple of the boys were exceptionally talented and its a challenge to seperate what they produced from years of 'apeing' the originals.  Oh yeah that guy wanted to cww some more pretty rocks.  Thanks everybody I'll try to give more than I take
                         Attached files 

Comment

Working...
                      X