mammoth effigy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wandering rock, you wrote:

"The fact is I did take these to some experts, and after an examination, explanation, and demonstration, they were convinced that these were real.  So you'll have to forgive me if it takes more then just a strangers statement that you don't see the tool marks in a fuzzy a fuzzy picture to convince me otherwise."
    Some thoughts.  Experts?  What experts? Since no archaeologist and no geologist, the only 2 catagories of experts I can think of that might offer opinions, would ever say these rocks are altered by man, then what is the specialty of these un-named and undescribed experts?  Experts in identifying natural made effigy lookalikes?
    If you already knew these were effigies, because so-called experts told you as much, then why did you come here to ask the opinions of "strangers"?  And yes, putting things that way after we have offered honest and correct opinions is certainly insulting.  And mistaken.  Instead of "strangers statement", it should read "a highly experienced and knowledgeable opinion by people who should know what they're talking about."  That would better describe the people on this forum.
    One final thought.  It's been my experience that many online forums, newsgroups, etc., attract people who just love to stirr people up.  I think you may be one of those.
    There are no experts.  You're making the whole thing up so you can have some yuks. That's what I'm beginning to suspect, so you'll have to forgive me for judging a stranger this way.
    Rhode Island

Comment

I also suspect he is just messing around. It's the only explanation.

Comment

Wanapum Dam?  Did it used to be called "The Rocky Reach Dam".  I used to live in Cashmere.  Rocky Reach was the dam near Wenatchee that I used to go to.  Fantastic place.  I spent countless hours there studying their awesome artifact collection.  I used to go there once a week with the kids.  People from town would let there critters, like hamsters, and rabbits go there, and then go and visit them.  It was lots of fun to watch these critters come out from under the hedges for food.  That was many years ago, and brings back a lot of good memories.  Do they still have the view tube there that's pointed at a huge face up on an overlooking cliff that that looks into  a crevice that leads to the plateau above? 
        As far as the Favell Museum is concerned.  My bad.  It was the Crater Rock Museum in Central Point.  The guy gave me his card when he asked me to put on a class on these.  The card he gave me was for the Favell Museum, I vaguely remember something about it being a sister museum where he also worked.  I don't have the card anymore but I think his name was Jack Benedict.  If that's the same jack, and you really do know him, why don't you give him a call and ask him about me?  It was almost 15 years ago, He may not remember my name, but I think he'll remember what I showed him.
        In St Helens Or. where I have also lived, and I'm not sure if it was called the Columbia room or not, (it was many years ago) was a small museum with a wonderful artifact collection in a small room that overlooked the marina there.  The curator there, whom obviously was not as smart as you guys, practically begged me to donate some of these to the museum.  I still might do that some day.
        As far as wasting any ones time.  I'm not making you read or respond to any of this.  Just look away.  Unless of course your opinion is so important that you feel obligated to respond to every post someone puts up in here.  I wonder what the world be like without all the bloated egos?  What a pleasant thought.  This will be my last post to this thread.  In my next thread I will try to demonstrate what I mean by an eruption effigy.  Please don't look if you feel I'm wasting your time.  Oh, what the heck, you know you're going to look.
        By the way, I do from time to time buy stuff that is effigied.  Knifes and scrapers mostly, but I have seen some arrowheads too.  Maybe you have what appear to you to be odd shaped tools that you feel may have been broken and repaired in antiquity.  Take a picture with the points down.  Maybe, just maybe you already have one that in all your wisdom you overlooked.  If it's one I will know, and I just might buy it off you just for the pleasure of showing off an artifact authenticated by you, that you missed the effigies in.

Comment

You never stated it as your opinion.  You stated it as fact.

Comment

Wanapum Dam is below the next Dam which is Rock Island down river by Vantage.  Our river is one Dam, Dam after another.

Comment

I think the experts he showed these to just agreed with his inane theory just to get him out of their office!

Comment

I know I said I was going to post something else, but I found this much better picture of the mammoth effigy, and thought I'd share it. I know someone stated that a clearer pic wouldn't matter, but I'm going to give it a shot anyway. Some of the detail has been washed out in the process of reducing it's size, and converting it to a jpeg, but enough is still left to see some of the tool marks. An interesting note is that if this had only contained an elephant effigy I would have been more skeptical, but it also contains one of the key signature characters that I look for, a guy standing over a mountain. In fact it contains a lot more than that, but I'm only focusing on what's in the piture. Also you can see the tooling that you couldn't see in the other one. For example, on the left slope of the mountain you can see what looks like remanants of 2 step breaks that were polished out. You might also note the clear tool marks at the end of the elephants trunk where it meets the mountain. Also the eyes of the man standing next to the mountain are clearly pecked out in the perfect spot to make a symetrical face along with a mouth that has been chipped out. Now I use an 87" monitor, so I'm hoping this still translates well enough. If you look close, into the line that winds across the stone diagonally, you can see some of the micro tooling that went into making it. Although the line starts at the bottom over a fissure, the bulk of it is clearly scratched only on the surface, and I can assure you there is neither fracture, nor inclusion, under most of it. Also on the flank of the elephant is the faint remains of peckiing that when isolated make a micro mountain scene of their own.

Comment

Comment

Well, for one thing, you have proven that imagination isn't dead.
                    "Now I use an 87" monitor" -  I always have to tell my kids to step back from monitors or the TV so they don't go blind.......... :dry:

Comment

Very interesting rock, really neat material

Comment

Have you given any thought to contacting someone like Dr.Phil. Heard he is looking for some new material for his program.

Comment

Maybe this pic will help.

Comment

wait I think that looks like a tusk.... hmmm the other must have been broken off, man that would have been sweet! does anyone else see the that it looks more like a mastadon than a silly columbia mammoth? :woohoo:
                            North Carolina

Comment

Are you still trying to sell these crazy thoughts of yours? We come on here to talk artifacts. Come on...That's just a rock.

Comment

wanderingrock. You may really just need some help here. Let me show you what Indian effigys look like. I have a whole book full and if you need more help I will post more but here a few to give you a better understanding of what to look for. If any of these look like your effigy then I will buy your rock! Alaska Eskimo carved of wood Deer Mask unknown in the Museum Philadelpia Horsae effigy Sioux

Comment

Working...
                                X