NH lithics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NH lithics

I hope im posting in the right place for these.
    I found these at a local logging operation. A Leopard Frog and a Frog or Toad. Both exhibit carving, etching, and or painting. I literally have a half dozen big totes of these small artifacts bulging at the seams. All saved form either construction sites, logging operations or gravel pits. Ive even plucked a few off the side of Rt 302. Just started to photograph the salvaged artifacts as they were not photographed in situ. I have some that were literally picked out of logging roads as the skidders awere baring down on me. JP
    Artifact: Leopard Frog/Toad
    Discovery location: Bethlehem, N.H. USA
    Place: Yitz logging operation
    Notes: Salvaged from logging roads
    Last edited by Seeking knowledge; 02-09-2020, 10:58 PM.

Well, sorry to be the bearer of bad news, although pointing out that a mistake is being made is educational. You just do not have enough experience. And, believe me, you are not the first to "see" effigies in ordinary rocks. And what you are showing here are indeed just rocks, and not effigies at all.

One basic fact is that Native American artists were just as skilled in creating an effigy as any other ancient culture. You won't have to squint, use paint to delianate the image, none of that. Native American effigies will be obvious man made works of art. Take this example from my own collection:

https://forums.arrowheads.com/forum/...le-frog-effigy

Does one need to squint, or even wonder if this is a man made effigy? No, not at all. Again, you are far from the first person, inexperienced with prehistoric artifacts from North America, to mistake ordinary rocks this way. Best advice I could give you is to give up in this effort. Instead, obtain some of the books available from the Massachusetts Archaeological Society that illustrate all the various classes of artifacts created by New England's prehistoric peoples. Including true effigies.

You have to start somewhere. I would recommend "A Handbook of Indian Artifacts from Southern New England". I'll leave a link in a minute. The information therein is also good for northern New England.

You have at least come to the right place to learn. But learn you must, if you truly wish to avoid the complete misidentification of humanly unaltered rocks for artifacts. It's up to you, but, again, you are collecting rocks, not artifacts, and most certainly not effigies!

Well, I am sorry to report that the Massachusetts Archaeolgical Society no longer has a website, and the only way to purchase their publications is by visiting their museum in Middleborough, Ma., open Wed. and Sat.
    Last edited by CMD; 02-10-2020, 11:02 AM.
    Rhode Island

Comment

Here's is the guide book, valid for all 6 New England states, that would help you learn what all classes of New England artifacts look like.

Click image for larger version

Name:	EFFBBDD8-5283-4907-8E88-D9F0A63790F6-366-00000012B0826BE0.jpeg
Views:	378
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	422966

All stone effigies will display some evidence of the work involved in altering the rock. This can be in the form of flaking, pecking and grinding, and incising. Here are examples from the above guide. Remember, Native American communities would have had some individuals more talented than others. Is that not the way everywhere where humanity and its many cultural manifestations are concerned? You need to learn how to recognize when a rock has been altered by human hands. As well, one needs to recognize that true effigies are exceedingly rare artifacts. You could surface hunt for a hundred years, and not find one single example......

All the examples seen here can be viewed in person at the Robbins Museum....

Name:	92D4C959-DCD2-4B7E-AA4F-5ABC364F2CD3-366-00000012F5161D78.jpeg
Views:	343
Size:	341.3 KB
ID:	422967

Another type of artistic expression can be seen in the form of portable petroglyphs, including pendants with design elements added.....

Name:	DBEC16D5-A90C-432A-9F5C-695BAA658F36-366-00000012CFE6CC40.jpeg
Views:	336
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	422968

Rhode Island

Comment

BTW, what you are identifying as paint is almost surely iron oxide staining, perfectly natural....
        Rhode Island

Comment

Sweet! Im not disappointed to learn that they are just rocks. This is the exact reason im here. Im seeking knowledge. Ill probably post more just rocks before i get the hang of seeing with a learned eye. I also know mother nature is the master jester in fooling those who are less educated in this field. So if you please keep the info and ids coming and have the patience to look at more just roclcks ill try and grasp the hang of this as quickly as i can. Learning from just pics is not the best way ive found but with little in the way of local exhibits to see in person or a local in the know this forum is going to be my school. Thanks for the heads up on the id guide too. Cheers JP

Comment

• CMD
            CMD commented
            Editing a comment
            I just learned that the Massachusetts Archaeological Society website was compromised. Once that is corrected, you will be able to order the book I recommended online. And I will let you know when their site is repaired....

Awsome thanks. Ive looked on thier site previously. If i remember correctly it was about a contact period excavation wwith great pics of indigenous artifacts.

Comment

• CMD
            CMD commented
            Editing a comment
            You may be thinking of the site that archives bulletins of tne Massachusetts Archaeology Society, which is a different website altogether....

You will notice I am moving your threads into a more appropriate category.

I also want to emphasize that, in going by photos alone, rather than in person, it will likely be exceedingly difficult to describe exactly why your rocks are not artifacts. This Internet venue is only so good at teaching what must be taught. Mostly, it will come by exposing yourself to, and handling is even better, lots and lots of genuine artifacts of all types.
          Rhode Island

Comment

I wish i had that opportunity my friend. Perhaps in the future ill connect with someone local where i can get hands on learning. For now this has to be it. As you all give me places to get proper ids i will use those sources to do my best at interpreting the differences. This is a relatively new endeavor for me so being wrong comes with being green. Im good with that for now. Thats how we learn. Being right good - being wrong better. Teachs me what not to look for. More of those in the wild byfar! JP

Comment

Charlie thanks for moving these . Seeking there are opportunities in your state. Join your states archaeological society . https://www.nhas.org/
              Also this looks to me like a wonderful program for someone with time on their hands who wants to learn . Check it out. https://www.nh.gov/nhdhr/scrap_info.htm
              TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Very cool. Much appreciated info. Been here less than a week and already fantastic education on its way. Thanks all. Cheers JP

Comment

Working...
                X