Here's your chance, Roger "DUCK"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here's your chance, Roger "DUCK"

I felt I needed to be a kind soul and give you the opportunity to, "ditch", my, "DUCK". It's a pretty piece of, "chert", I thought you would enjoy. I get a good chuckle when I look at this stuff! Duck or no duck!
    DUCK SIDE:

OTHER SIDE:

WHATYAMACALLIT: :dry:

No, not a duck Pam.....a flake. Although, the second pic is clearly a painted face warrior with a large proboscis!
    Southern Connecticut

Comment

Ya mean duck-shootin' season has come around again? Already?
      I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

painshill wrote:

Ya mean duck-shootin' season has come around again? Already?
           :lol:  :lol:  :lol: You'd have to be a pretty good shot to shoot my duck no duck from the other side of that there lake, Roger! 
        My eyes deceive me.  It doesn't quack like a duck, doesn't have the body of a duck, but it sure looks like the head of a duck to me.  Like Jack once said.  It doesn't do any harm to think it.  I say he's right.  What does matter, is that you need to understand that it really isn't!  Then ya' can smile!

Comment

cgode wrote:

No, not a duck Pam.....a flake. Although, the second pic is clearly a painted face warrior with a large proboscis!
            Chris, here before long...Butch will be askin' ya' if ya' been hittin' that, "sourmash", a little too hard  lately!

Comment

[QUOTE]roustabout149 wrote:

Originally posted by cgode post=43244
              Chris, here before long...Butch will be askin' ya' if ya' been hittin' that, "sourmash", a little too hard  lately!
              Duck or no duck is an awesome piece of material to look at!  Also, are the terms flake and bulb of percussion interchangeable?

Comment

Pam the Bulb of percussion is a part of the flake. it is at the proximal end of the flake or the closest to the striking platform. The force of the strike builds and the resistance within the stone forces it to lift slightly. Causing a small hump or a bulb of percussion.
              TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

A picture for your notes     

TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Great explanation Matt and great visual too.....as Matt said Pam, the bulb of percussion is only part of a flake, a characteristic not always seen depending on numerous variables...so, to answer your question....no, those two terms are not interchangeable.
                  Southern Connecticut

Comment

Hoss wrote:

Pam the Bulb of percussion is a part of the flake. it is at the proximal end of the flake or the closest to the striking platform. The force of the strike builds and the resistance within the stone forces it to lift slightly. Causing a small hump or a bulb of percussion.
                    Hoss, dagnabbit, you bout to make me tip the jug now ! Whut the.......All I need now is for Painshill to add sumpthin' about Vikings and Romans and wives of Henry VIII !

Comment

[QUOTE]Butch Wilson wrote:

Originally posted by Hoss post=43282
                      Hoss, dagnabbit, you bout to make me tip the jug now ! Whut the.......All I need now is for Painshill to add sumpthin' about Vikings and Romans and wives of Henry VIII !

PS the small hump is usually apparent on the ventral surface of the flake.
                        It is sometimes referred to as the bulb of force.
                      Yeah, bascally its a little hump on top of a rock  near the end edge that was smashed with another rock.

Comment

[QUOTE]Hoss wrote:

[quote=Butch Wilson post=43299]

Yeah, bascally its a little hump on top of a rock  near the end edge that was smashed with another rock.
                          The Vikings used flakes just like that to sharpen the horns on their helmets, you know. You'll find Viking horn-sharpening flakes all over Ohio where they scattered them like confetti as they sailed down the Licking River. You can read all about it in books. :whistle:  :whistle:  :whistle:
                        I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

[QUOTE]painshill wrote:

[quote=Hoss post=43304][quote=Butch Wilson post=43299]

The Vikings used flakes just like that to sharpen the horns on their helmets, you know. You'll find Viking horn-sharpening flakes all over Ohio where they scattered them like confetti as they sailed down the Licking River. You can read all about it in books. :whistle:  :whistle:  :whistle:
                            Well, why didn't ya say so ! Thanks for clearin' that up Hoss and Painshill....You fellers must read a lot!

Comment

[QUOTE]painshill wrote:

[quote=Hoss post=43304][quote=Butch Wilson post=43299]

Well I wasn't going there but I have a theory about the red and orange color of those rocks. Let me collect my thoughts first. I took a bath cuz it's Saturday and some spilled out into the tub! I do have a strainer found in a remote California Creek that will help my collection of,,, wait these almost looks like tablets! my thoughts floating like tablets in the tub! I have to call my cousin Clay!

Comment

B) Well I have a theory on that but, you fellers probably would't understand ! I posted a clue 2 years ago and a picture in Foxfire magazine ! :laugh:

Comment

Working...
                              X