completely new here and confused

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• completely new here and confused

I am not sure if I am posting this right, but I recently decided to start looking for arrowheads around my area, eastern maryland. I found what I thought was a rock in a wooded beach area. I thought I’d take it home just in case, I don’t really know anything about arrowheads but it seems to have a point and a base, but everything else about it just seems like an oddly shaped rock. can someone help me? Click image for larger version

Name:	image_85840.jpg
Views:	417
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	462091 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_85841.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	462092
    Last edited by Hoss; 06-16-2020, 10:29 PM.

First.....welcome to arrowheads.com!
    this hobby can be very frustrating and confusing when starting out....Persistence will pay off eventually. Your find that you’ve posted is a natural stone, unaltered by man. It may have the basic shape but shows none of the characteristics of it having been man made and is not a material the native Americans used.
    take a look around the forum, read as much as possible and absorb some of the information here.....you WILL find something artifactual if you have patience and by all means....ask a lot of questions here.....there are some awesome people here that will help
    Southern Connecticut

Comment

• anabella
      anabella commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for letting me know! I will do more research before going out again, and I will definitely use this forum again. I know a lot of people who have found stuff around my area so I am confident I’ll find something eventually.

• Olden
      Olden commented
      Editing a comment
      There's a couple links at the bottom of this recent post that I think you'll find helpful. Most artifacts you'll find in MD. are some type of quartzite, which contrasts pretty well with the soil. Plowed fields that are rain-washed, shore lines, or any place where there's erosion (construction sites) are good places to scan. As Cgode said: persistence will pay off eventually -
      have fun!

Sorry to just toss this out there but a friend of a friend asked after seeing a post of mine what they might be finding on the beach in the sand where the Potomac river meets Chesapeake Bay. I'm not terribly familiar with the more Middle Atlantic, southern artifacts and materials so I told her I'd post these here to get some
      Last edited by Olden; 06-17-2020, 07:17 AM.

Welcome aboard to our forum from Alabama. Lots to learn and speaking for myself, I have been around quite a while am still learning. Lots of info here and there are other informative websites regarding Native American artifacts, history and prehistoy as well but this I think is the best one going to get questions answered.

Comment

Welcome from Florida.?.One good way to learn is to look at the stuff the folks around there have found,
      Floridaboy.

Comment

Welcome from Georgia, I can't add anything new that wasn't in previous post. I'm confident you will find something too 😉
        🐜 🎤 SW Georgia

Comment

Welcome from Iowa, keeepa lookin. If others are finding them so can you.
          SE IA

Comment

Welcome from Kentucky......Remember to enjoy the journey, it can be just as fun as the prize...Happy Hunting!
            North Central Kentucky

Comment

Welcome from Michigan. The folks here are friendly and knowledgeable. I found my first point back in April and have been hooked something terrible. After you find your first artifact your path will be set so get outside and enjoy.
              Uncle Trav- Southwest Michigan

Comment

Welcome from western Pennsylvania
                Near the PA/Ohio state line

Comment

Keep trying, you will be rewarded !
                  Lubbock County Tx

Comment

Welcome to the forum from coastal VA! Natural rocks can be great imitators but once you find your first point, there will be no question. And yes, your area will typically have quartzite and quartz points. Not often pretty but quite effective at the time. Stick with it and with us!
                    Deb
                    Child of the tides

Comment

Welcome to the site....keep looking, you'll fin something out there
                      Benny / Western Highland Rim / Tennessee

Comment

Working...
                      X