OK, here's one

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OK, here's one

I've flyfished for 45 years and for the past twenty or so, I've built a fire pit with every cool rock I've found at a new location I've fished. Corals, arrow shaped rocks, cool colorations and formation. Going through airport security with a bag full of rocks can get interesting.

I found this in Tennessee years ago and added it to the ring. I noticed it because each side had a distinct geometric shape. Circle, triangle, square.. By the fire, I've turned this thing over in my hand a hundred times over the years. Could someone else have this was a cool rock and pecked at it?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Tennesseerock.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	462532

Rock
    NW Georgia,

Comment

thanks for looking

Comment

Welcome from Florida Holden....I’m gonna suggest to you that symbolizem, when depicted is more pronounced, and you don’t have to guess, hope that helps in the future... nice looking stone, I would keep it also..
        Floridaboy.

Comment

Myself, I pick up odd stones on campsites and bring them home. The NA people were not all that different. That is why when people in this forum show odd rocks they’ve found at sites, I think that a NA rock collector did the same thing. Also, NA people collected artifacts too ! Only bad thing there is, is that, sometimes they modified a much older projectile or tool to fit their needs. I’m guilty of bringing cool stones home !
          Lubbock County Tx

Comment

Holden that type of rock comes in thin slices even if it feels solid if you were to bang it hard enough to cause it to break it would come off in slices. It's a type of mud stone from what I can see. I would avoid that type while looking for artifacts. It might have fossils in or on it but wouldn't of been used for artifacts. Keep looking
            NW Georgia,

Comment

Thanks for looking. It's not a mud stone though. Hard quartz sandstone>quartzite like the other cobble that was around except it stood out for the shape. Found on an East Tennessee mountain freestone stream . It's definitely got some inclusions in it, like all cobble does, but not in layers that would cleave like a banded sandstone or shale. It's been rolled around a lot. I'll scratch it on some glass and be sure.

Edit, It was all black and shiny when I found it but most of the black has worn off of the surfaces, but still smooth .
              Last edited by Holden Coalfield; 06-18-2020, 10:56 AM.

Comment

I can see what you say but that is not quartzite . Good pictures thank you for adding something for size scale. Not an artifact in my opinion. Sandstone is a sedimentary rock that being said sedimentary rock and can take on many forms naturally . I have seen some amazing looking stuff out there.
                Quratzite cobbles are very hard. The stuff you have there would never hold up like quartzite. The photo lower right also gives one an impression of layering or folding .

I have another comment too. Your title . " OK, here's one" Then proceed to share photos of four different rocks. Or is it three? None of which appear to be artifacts but all of which are now considered manuports. Thanks for sharing I am moving your thread to Rocks Mistakenly Believed to be Artifacts

TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

sorry, hoss, should have been more clear. That is four sides of the same rock

Comment

• Hoss
                    Hoss commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks for the clarification. I still feel it is a natural sedimentary stone. .
                Working...
                X