No announcement yet.

Effigy? Art-of-fact?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Many rocks you find in or near campsites, shelters , middens ect were brought back as curiosities or something for the kids to play with . I bring my son back cool rocks or ROI’s as I call them Rocks of interest or interesting rocks . Those don’t get to the sites by accident they were brought there for any number of reasons because someone thought it was cool ect , and the fact that it may resemble something in nature is not uncommon. If you find something that’s ground , chipped , flaked or polished into a shape then you have something altered or man made if not which most times is the case it’s natural and there’s nothing wrong with that either cuz some dude many many moons ago thought it was cool too .

Comment

Mmmm peyote trips can really produce arrowheads!
      North Carolina

Comment

• Lindenmeier-Man
        Lindenmeier-Man commented
        Editing a comment
        Well maybe, best thing though is walking with Jesus ! Nice guy, need haircut ,shave , and some boots. Anyone can tell he has been through hell and came out on the other side in wonderful humor... BTW, he don’t have any vices....

• utilized flake
        utilized flake commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm a born again heretic JJ...if there is a he'll, and I strongly believe there isn't... I'll be driving the bus in cold weather gear!

Many naturally formed rocks in your posts Jtill. If you are looking for an education on what an artifact is you are in the right place. If you just want to make stuff up in your mind I will have no choice but to make you a read only member. For now I will be removing this topic to the section called Rocks Mistakenly Believed to be Artifacts
      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

I am Groot
        South Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by JTill View Post
          I apologize for being facetious, I mean no disrespect. Some of the rocks I have found are undoubtedly man made, to me, mostly because of the way I found them, the signs of nature that led me to them, the history of Kiowa-Apache, Comanche, Navajo, and various other tribes that lived in this uncharted territory, as well as the similarities or resemblances between the rocks shaped like animals and the actual dangerous animals that inhabit the area today. I plan to write a book about my crazy rock collection and my interpretation of said rocks, that's the whole point of joining this group, for me, is to learn facts and fiction as well as others personal beliefs. I'm very interested in seeing your effigies and becoming more educated on the difference between artifacts and rocks. Other than my vivid imagination, which I like to consider an open mind. Again I apologize for any disrespect. When I receive my degree in geology and archaeology we can have a friendly scientific debate?

Since you asked, here is an effigy from my own collection. One should never have to guess if something is a man made effigy, where native artists are concerned, any more than one would have to ask if something made by a master sculptor in Western civilization was man made. Native artisans were as skilled as any artisan/artist from any other culture from history. You seem to be having difficulty distinguishing natural from man made. Members here don’t have that difficulty, since our experience and knowledge base is more developed. Your items are simply rocks, not effigies.

Posted by [CMD] A Turtle Effigy from Narragansett Bay Found on Narragansett Bay (Saunderstown, North Kingston, not far from the Jamestown Bridge) in 1936. Made of
          Rhode Island

Comment

• Carolina Hunter
            Carolina Hunter commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for that link. Wow, what a find! Thanks for sharing with us.

Rocks
          TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Trippin' ya'll. But I have never found an effigy. Keep on doing your thing.
            North Carolina

Comment

Could these be Effigys?
              Attached Files

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
                SurfaceHunter commented
                Editing a comment
                Limestone which comes in many natural shapes.

No but you did get them in the appropriate category and post.
              Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Working...
              X