Face in Stone? Tool marks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Face in Stone? Tool marks

Hi, I found this stone face in a public park in the Hill Country of central Texas. It is 9 inches long and 5 and 1/2 inches wide between the eyes. It has striations that appear to be tool marks in the mouth and eyes...note picture three. It is located roughly 10 feet from a high cliff edge and was facing west. I don't know if that is important. The location is in a remote area of the park. I've left this piece in place. Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks in advance.

Limestone can take on many fascinating natural shapes over time. what you feel is teeth or tool marks are not tool marks . That is a fossil impression. Please show some close ups of marks maybe horn coral impression within the stone. Hard to say from the pictures. Happy Thanksgiving and welcome to arrowheads.com
    Last edited by Hoss; 11-26-2020, 11:02 AM.
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	wr3.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	150.2 KB
ID:	509674 Click image for larger version

Name:	wr1.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	509675 Click image for larger version

Name:	wr2.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	160.4 KB
ID:	509676
      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Thanks for the input. I've done a close up shot of the mouth area. There are several parallel marks front to back of mouth where a tool may have been used to clear out material in that area.

Also, Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Comment

• Lindenmeier-Man
          Lindenmeier-Man commented
          Editing a comment
          Welcome from Lubbock Co. sorry it’s a natural stone. Your in a good area.

Natural formation, keep lookin you will turn up a point.
        SE IA

Comment

Nice natural find . We call it honeycomb can have many or few holes . Limestone

Comment

Working...
          X