ID:	512890 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9897.jpeg
Views:	261
Size:	169.9 KB
ID:	512891 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9893.jpeg
Views:	258
Size:	249.1 KB
ID:	512892 Greetings All! I am truly more of a gardener than rock hound, but after a year or more of finding rocks on our property that leave me questioning if there's more history to them (and reading and reading about lithic artifacts, etc. etc.) I thought I'd ask some people who have some real experience. We live in the Piedmont of NC, southern part of Orange County, in one of the higher elevations of the surrounding few miles and a couple miles outside of 'town'. It's basically old oak forest - easy to walk through - all around, growing in a very rocky ground and a creek begins on our property. I first got interested in finding rocks because of some beautiful quartz crystals and huge (pretty) chunks of milky quartz we were often finding and then showing them to the kids, but after looking at some of our finds more, I am wondering..... feel free to say they're nothing (probably easier on me anyways, as I'll always be looking for more if they are something! ha :-) ). Or, if you have questions or want more photos, just ask. if photos are not clear enough, I can try to upload at a better resolution. my first post - hope this works!

These stones are lithic materials that the native Americans would use to make tools/points.
    Lubbock County Tx

Comment

The larger pieces just rocks, some of the smaller quartz pieces, maybe. Be patient some of the folks from your area of the country will be by and give you some insights. Happy hunting and welcome!
      Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Sorry Cat but I don't see any Native Artifacts. But don't stop looking. We all have to start somewhere. I encourage you to not to stop hunting. Kim
        Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

Welcome from Michigan. Searching in and along the creek on your property would be a good place to start.
          Uncle Trav- Southwest Michigan

Comment

All natural but artifacts were made from quartz and quartzite. Welcome from Georgia.
            šŸœ šŸŽ¤ SW Georgia

Comment

Thanks for the info everyone! Will continue to keep my eyes open and the creek has often been a source of pretty things - small pieces of clearish quartz crystals of a few colors. It does seem like thereā€™s a wide variety of rock and that the quartz seems to follow what must be a ā€˜veinā€™ (?) going to ask about a few more pieces in a bit!

Comment

The two smaller pieces of quartz look šŸ‘€ interesting. It looks like first piece quartz has flaking. Could have been a quick cutting tool or scraping, the second cutting or possibly projectile that was incomplete/ broken ect . Iā€™d dig where your finding those and see if theres any charcoal flecks /signs of camping. If thereā€™s any overhangs anywhere or ledges there may be something to further test . The fact thereā€™s material to work with helps. Also if thereā€™s a spring or a creek even better
                Last edited by SGT.Digger; 12-09-2020, 01:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X