Hello from New Collector in Southeastern VA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from New Collector in Southeastern VA

I found a "rock" in my back yard that has been confirmed by a local archaeologist to be an Indian hafted axe. I have another "rock" that is relatively flat on one side, rounded on the other side, with three smooth depressions on one end. When held in my right hand the three depressions fit my index, middle and ring fingers. From looking at photos, the archaeologist thinks it is just a river rock, but I'd like a second opinion.

Greetings BarkeyVA; Good to see new folks come along. I think your rock is just a rock. That is just my idea and I am not a expert by any means. Sometimes the rocks were used and not made just used and that makes it very hard to place them. If found right in a Indian camp sometimes you can at least know they were used. I have a garden full of fun rocks that you will never know for sure. Again Welcome and have fun here there are a great bunch of collectors on here.

Comment

Looks like a rock to me. Just my opinion. I call them wanna be's. Welcome!

Comment

Show other pictures of it. It looks like a river rock.

Comment

I posted more photos on the What Did I Find forum under "Artifact or Rock".

Comment

Welcome to the club Barkey. It very well could have been used for something. As horse pointed out though I have coffee cans and gardens full of neat rocks that could be or not artifacts. Look at the piece opposite your the side that fits your fingers and see if it is chipped or smooth as though used, the finish should be different than the rest of the rock if it was hammered on something often. Hope that helps a little, welcome again, Bill

Comment

The flat side is definitely smoother than rounded side. There are no obvious chips or dings on that surface.  The side opposite the three indentations is angled at about 45 degrees from the rounded top to the smooth flat.
              It's interesting that the rock actually feels more comfortable, and I can hold it more securly, in my left hand with my thumb positioned parallel to the flat side and wrapped around the end having the indentations with my othr four fingers natually gripping the angled side.
              In this view, the flat surface is on the right and the angled side described above is on the left. Not sure what the grey patches are.

Comment

It really doesn't matter if it fits your hand or not, or if it is flat on a side, as many natural rocks will have that. What matters is does it have a working surface? On that piece, the working surface would probably be the battered-looking edge and/or the flat bottom. The edges may reveal that it was used as a hammer. The evidence of removal and smoothing of the natural cortex "rind" of the rock on the flat side, may reveal it as a flat grinder to grind seeds. I really can't tell from the pics if it is a natural rock or a basic tool though.

Comment

Working...
                X