Did I find something?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did I find something?

I’m new here and I’ve actually never found an arrowhead before but I found this yesterday and I’m curious to know if it’s a possible artifact or just a rock lol. It has a sharp edge that looks like it could be worked to me and is really smooth on the sides. The other side is thicker maybe about an inch and looks broke off. I’m not sure what kind of rock it is but I noticed that it’s somewhat translucent and looks purple when you shine a light through it. Found in Lawrence county, Ohio.

It looks like the rim of a soapstone bowl, but I wouldn't describe soapstone as being translucent.
    If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Comment

That is iron ore "slag glass". I live next to an 1850s iron furnace, and I find pieces like that all the time here. Most are black with blue swirls, but a good lot of them actually have a purple translucency to them. Though it might not be American Indian, it's still a small piece of history from bygone days.
      "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Comment

• Hal Gorges
        Hal Gorges commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, I was gonna say a clamshell but light doesn’t shine thru,

• Wilson93Chris
        Wilson93Chris commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks! This makes sense, there’s several iron furnaces in my area.

I agree with Ethan
      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Welcome to the site Wilson keep on huntin. It is slag. here are some slag colors from my area. 1st pict. bottom left is what you have. Illuminated second pict tell the story! Kim

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2984.JPG
Views:	330
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	538855Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2989.JPG
Views:	232
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	538856
        Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

Working...
        X