X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paleo or just rocks?

Hello all

My first post here .
    I’m an arrowhead fan since a kid living in the South Texas sticks and stones and thorns .
    I know what “arrowheads “ look like but am not sure what I’ve found. I don’t know if they are just rocks or an artifact.
    Found in Bastrop county Texas.
    If anyone can help I would appreciate it!
    It’s a lot of pictures because I’m not sure if they are anything.
    I found all of these in one day.
    Do they look paleo ? Maybe some choppers , hand axes, grinders?

Thanks for your time.

I see a couple pieces of debitage and that's all.
    South Carolina

Comment

A warm welcome from Florida,
      Floridaboy.

Comment

There’s remnants/flakes off larger pieces that Native Americans were working. Not really any noticeable tools . That larger round stone piece could have been used as a hammer stone .

Comment

Hi Jen, I’m in Kentucky and a newbie here too. I see some definite possibilities for hand scrapers, pestles, and effigies. It’s hard to tell from group shots, but I think you have some nice items mixed in with the rocks. Don’t give up!

Comment

Negative on effigies. If your mind is set on smooth rocks like that, then you're probably walking right over artifacts including arrowheads, to pick up more rocks. Not trying to be harsh...keep flakes like you have there...and focus on sharp stuff and it will become second nature!
            Last edited by utilized flake; 03-23-2021, 11:43 PM.
            North Carolina

Comment

Agree with utilized flake. 99% of all artifacts that we find will be flaked stone artifacts: projectiles, knives, drills, scrapers. So, you need to learn what lithics were most frequently used in the region where you hunt. And, you need to learn how to recognize those flaked stone artifacts. Picking up rocks is going to get you nowhere. And for a long time. There is a learning curve. Look at our typology guide for the state in which you live. Visit museum displays if possible. Join archaeological societies or clubs in your region. Going out blind and just picking up rocks is likely the least productive way to get yourself up to speed.
              Rhode Island

Comment

Working...
              X