Grand Dads” moccasin form” rock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grand Dads” moccasin form” rock

One of the rocks in my Grand Dads rock garden, among the broken axe heads and hammer stones, was a piece he called the moccasin stone. He always told us he thought the ancient ones used this rock as a sort of shoe form when they sewed moccasins. It actually does appear to have some pecking marks on some places. Click image for larger version

Name:	A66F6BBC-AA4F-4BAF-84B0-ED56E3EAB58B.jpeg
Views:	265
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	539974Click image for larger version

Name:	28CD1AA5-CAB5-4EDC-95CA-9540CBAD0123.jpeg
Views:	183
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	539975Click image for larger version

Name:	29B7E04E-0A49-4D26-B8A7-ADE8897ECC5B.jpeg
Views:	200
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	539976
    Fayette County, southern Illinois

Sorry Charles but the Ancient Americans didn't make moccasin lasts.
    Michigan Yooper
    If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Have a read of this from our Information Centre:

Moccasin Lasts - ArrowHeads.com
      I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Can hear man to his mate: no, we not taking that big ole metate with us, but go get all the kids’ moccasin lasts...
        Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

With people having different size feet, and people growing from youngster to adult, if moccasin lasts were a valid class of artifact, we should expect it to be one of the most common form of stone artifact found at virtually every village site. But we don’t. And it’s because they are not an artifact type, or required in the creation of footwear.
          Rhode Island

Comment

• Charles Jones
            Charles Jones commented
            Editing a comment
            I agree. Also, if used at all, they probably would be made from soft wood.

Still, it was a good story when we were kids, and helped peak our interest in artifacts.

• Cecilia
            Cecilia commented
            Editing a comment
            Maybe used by sneaky Person to make deceiving artificial footprints ...

Here's a decent collection of Great Basin artifacts. Mostly correctly identified, as far as I can tell, except for the proverbial 'moccasin last'. It's in one of those small county museums that Painskill's linked thread mentions. It's 'just a rock' as far as I can see.

In this episode of Chronicles of the Comstock, we focus on the Cassinelli-Perino Artifact Collection. In the early 1990s, Northern Nevada author and historia...

On the other hand, examples that show actual shaping by human hand (do those exist?) would warrant interpretation. Moccasin lasts seems a ridiculous call, for the reasons stated by previous posters. A clearly modelled human would probably belong in the effigy class.
          California

Comment

Working...
          X