Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Think my imagination is running wild again...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Think my imagination is running wild again...

Yeah I know these are probably JARs but gotta run em by y'all anyways. Really weird rocks for my area if nothing else. Found em today in the same field as the arrowheads and the cobble and other rock.
    Attached Files
    Central Iowa now, used to be in SC.

Nice quartz points, piece in photo 3 and 4 looks like soapstone not sure from photo put if it is it should have a slick feel to it
    South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

• Ron Kelley
      Ron Kelley commented
      Editing a comment
      The same rocks that are in #1 and #2.

• Coy
      Coy commented
      Editing a comment
      They do both have a slick feel

Other than the worked quartz, I see only rocks.
    Rhode Island

Comment

• Coy
      Coy commented
      Editing a comment
      Haha yeah I'd probably mistake an earthworm for an ancient Indian rope, but hope springs eternal as they say.

Coy, I admit to still learning how to recognize artifacts. But I also would have kept all your specimens too (ESPECIALLY photos 1-4!)!

Comment

Possible polishing/finishing tools depending on what was being made in your area. If nice smooth axes and other pieces were produced in an area, then I’d hang with them and see if you can corroborate with other collectors who’ve found such tools. The tools that make the tools are often overlooked because the original shape might not have been altered much. The polishers of course were polished through the action of polishing and the material chosen would have longevity in the context it was being used, eg. intended not to break down as it broke down the material being worked. The hard starter tools intended to overcome basalt for a bowl(for example)weren’t pretty but usually ergonomic in some way. The polishing pieces must’ve been some of the most well loved pieces by the people using them.

Comment

Working...
      X