Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yep... My first post is a Bird Effigy

Hi all,

I recently started exploring my neighborhood, after reading an article discussing it's history which stated - "On the very top of the hill was a mound of stones, 25 feet long and 6 feet high, referred to by the residents as the Indians Mound. It was opened and many artifacts, including arrowheads, were found."..... Nothing else was mentioned about what happened to the mound when the land was developed so I decided to look around the bottom of the hill. I'm pretty sure I have found some hammer/pecking/nutting stones and fishing weights... But I can't shake the feeling I found a bird effigy...

Let me know what you think! Click image for larger version

Name:	Bird1.png
Views:	789
Size:	808.9 KB
ID:	563909
    ​​​​​

I forgot to mention, I'm in southwest PA. I live about 20 miles from the Meadowcroft Shelter...

Sorry... But here's another one I found... Click image for larger version

Name:	Bird2.png
Views:	1324
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	563914

Comment

Welcome. Your rocks are natural. Sorry. Try to shake that feeling! 🙂
      South Dakota

Comment

Agree with SD. An authentic effigy is absolutely unmistakable. I have seen many up close in museums and shows and they are real works of art. Keep up the search though and when you find one there will be no question.
        The chase is better than the catch...
        I'm Frank and I'm from the flatlands of N'Eastern Illinois...

Comment

Thanks for the advice! I thought long and hard about adding another bird stone here haha... The first one just looked carved to me since the darker lines are all raised and the lighter areas appeared ground down with a gradient... Plus I kept focusing on the perfectly placed divot where an eye belongs...

But I'm very aware I have no idea what I'm doing, so if you say natural I'm not questioning it!... This forum has already helped me throw back more things than I can count!
          ​​​​

Comment

Is this natural also? Or is the lighter area a sign of grinding? Click image for larger version

Name:	Bird3.png
Views:	601
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	563929

Comment

Welcome from Georgia sir, yep all are natural.
              🐜 🎤 SW Georgia

Comment

I'm starting to think mother nature just likes messing with humans... Thanks again!
                ​​​​

Comment

Ghaw-lee, wish I had an artifact for everyone of us whose first post was “bird effigy”! Mother Nature does indeed favor making her rocks into bird-shapes, and perhaps God did direct her to place them in paths of humans He’s gifted with big imaginations. You, me, a buncha others should be honored to be member of this Fooled-‘em Club; that qualification is reason you’ll keep looking, and why you’ll be posting some real artifacts real soon!
                  Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

When I wrote the title, in my head it had the tone of rolling my eyes haha. At least I didn't start with this one! (which I put in my garden) 🤣🤣🤣

Click image for larger version

Name:	2021061820260394657_1624062376972.jpg
Views:	609
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	564022

Comment

all mother earth creations.
                      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

A natural rock by any other name is still just a rock. Keep lookin you might find a worked piece.
                        SE IA

Comment

Cool rocks.
                          Western Kentucky

Comment

Working...
                          X