Not sure but where I found it has me wondering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not sure but where I found it has me wondering

So I found this piece next a very old drill and this purple sandstone I believe it is, is used for many artifacts in the same place in NM. I know over time how the Sam’s stone can loose the work. Appreciate the help brothers.

I used to trade rocks with a person from N.M. and he sent me some of that stone, nice artifact
    South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

• Inviz
      Inviz commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for the reply bud. And if your interested I can send a lot of this your way and others free of charge. Do you believe this is an artifact then? Appreciate the help

• willjo
      willjo commented
      Editing a comment
      Shure looks like one to me, we find Rhyolite points that the flaking has weathered away

Looks like something to me almost water worn look to it. Both sides would help
    NW Georgia,

Comment

• Inviz
      Inviz commented
      Editing a comment
      Working on it brother, every picture I seen to take is to large for the upload side on the forum.

You have to resize each picture. It’s pretty easy once you get used to it
    NW Georgia,

Comment

• Missouri Breaks
      Missouri Breaks commented
      Editing a comment
      I’ve also had the “image/file” is too large to use utilize error messages. Not fun. What’s the work around?

Ruling out possible tool types… not seeing a working pestle like end with wear or any rounding. NM, so I’m not thinking a weight or plummet, but those aren’t out of the question. No visible edge for joint separation or foliage management. Not a hide tanner. If the consensus on material is sandstone, could be a club head or an abrading stone. Or simply, a natural rock. Best I got.
    Last edited by Missouri Breaks; 07-25-2021, 10:10 AM.

Comment

Maybe something they were working on and never finished. I resize my pictures before I try to post some are smaller than I would like so I take the pictures from a distance then size them down like that. Seems to work better than a up close
      NW Georgia,

Comment

It’s a large basalt scraper. Not sandstone at all.
        Lubbock County Tx

Comment

Originally posted by Lindenmeier-Man View Post
          It’s a large basalt scraper. Not sandstone at all.
          It’s purple sandstone bro. I’ll grab some better pictures, basalt holds up much better and has the dark grey smooth texture even after long age in the sun. I’m not someone new just finding things but this definitely could just be nothing, sandstone tools are found often in this area, was just odd because I found this next a paleo drill actually that was basalt. Lost all its work but a clear broken tip.

Comment

Looks like a unifacial scraper let's see the other side... is it flat?
            Professor Shellman
            Tampa Bay

Comment

Same basalt stuff as this blade I picked up in May, situ , then upper right hand corner. Click image for larger version

Name:	6F6E341C-577A-4FE0-871B-54283A555978.jpeg
Views:	310
Size:	163.4 KB
ID:	572675Click image for larger version

Name:	D02ED24C-6AE9-4A8C-951C-EE1DA16902F9.jpeg
Views:	307
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	572676
              Lubbock County Tx

Comment

Originally posted by Lindenmeier-Man View Post
                Same basalt stuff as this blade I picked up in May, situ , then upper right hand corner. Click image for larger version

Name:	6F6E341C-577A-4FE0-871B-54283A555978.jpeg
Views:	310
Size:	163.4 KB
ID:	572675Click image for larger version

Name:	D02ED24C-6AE9-4A8C-951C-EE1DA16902F9.jpeg
Views:	307
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	572676
                That’s beautiful finds. Thank you for the knowledge

Comment

Looks the the hoe I have on the left
                  Attached Files