Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Uwharrie Mountains Find (15 pieces, concentrated)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uwharrie Mountains Find (15 pieces, concentrated)

Good day, and I'm thankful this forum exists. I've reached the end of my individual research with these pieces and I can't seem to draw any conclusions on timeframe or tribal owners.

BACKGROUND:

We unintentionally dug these up in a 30' x 30' garden area seven years ago on top of a Uwharrie Mountain in Randolph County, NC. They were found on a slope no more than 8 inches deep into the Earth, and they were 50 yards above a creek and 50 yards below a mountain top, near Pisgah Covered Bridge.

Apparently the URE mountains floated on top of North Carolina and settled. They weren't a part of North Carolina until after Pangea. Soil compositions and topopgraphies aren't consistent with the rest of NC. They are arguably the oldest "mountains" in the world.

I can't seem to find anything that looks like these items. I thought maybe the Guilford axe was close. I don't even know what that hammer looking thing is. Very rough and primitive.

The white dot in the middle is a quarter.

Thanks for any guidance, and if further pictures or commentary are needed please let me know and I will provide post haste.
    Last edited by OutdoorOG; 08-13-2021, 05:58 AM.

Hi OOG and welcome to our forum. it is not possible for me to evaluate your finds till you post additional photos. We need ones that are in much larger scale so I'd suggest you post photos showing no more than about 4 or so. And upload them large enough that we can see evidence of fine secondary chipping. HST, at a glance most of these look like rocks unaltered by man but we need better photos for us to be of much help.

Comment

• OutdoorOG
      OutdoorOG commented
      Editing a comment
      What does HST mean?

• sailorjoe
      sailorjoe commented
      Editing a comment
      HST= having said that

Better individual close ups of the working edges needed to tell for sure.

Comment

• OutdoorOG
      OutdoorOG commented
      Editing a comment
      Now we just need a professional to look at them, amirite?

Nope...x 15
    North Carolina

Comment

• OutdoorOG
      OutdoorOG commented
      Editing a comment
      You think none of these are Native American artifacts, or you are just kidding? Sorry just trying to understand the knowledge base and culture at this forum.

• utilized flake
      utilized flake commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorry for being short, but if you do some research for awhile on the site looking at pictures of artifatcs, then you will start to find worked pieces. The learning curve can be immediate or it can never happen when it comes to whether or not people "get it." You live near the uwharries...familiarize yourself with the materials the natives used... I.E. quartz and rhyolite. One hike to morrow mountain should show you everything you need to know, just don't take anything home from there... It's a state park! Good luck in your hunts we members are here for you!

Bottom left might be something I think I might see a groove but can’t tell.
    NW Georgia,

Comment

Welcome from Michigan.
      Uncle Trav- Southwest Michigan

Comment

Welcome to arrowheads.com

I agree, there are no obvious artefacts in your picture... although it is a bit small to tell if any of the pieces are at all worked.

"HST" is shorthand for "having said that..." We don't have limitations on number of characters here on the forum, so there's no real need for folks to resort to cryptic "text-speak".
        I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

• OutdoorOG
          OutdoorOG commented
          Editing a comment
          Did you watch the three videos?

Welcome to our forum. Hundreds of years of combined experience in the recognition and interpretation of Native American artifacts on our forum. You can be assured our members will provide you with honest opinions based on that knowledge. I did enlarge your photo to some extent, and did not see any obvious human workmanship.
        Rhode Island

Comment

Here is a Google Drive link with Viewer permissions to the artifacts above. Please let me know if I should add pictures of anything else. I will be posting a link to a video of them later on tonight. Thanks again for your time and experience.

Comment

I just viewed the photos you posted. Good job. I'm not familiar with Google Drive. I think I'll check it out and see how it can help me. I see that it has a way to enlarge the picture. There is no need to post additional photos. I did the enlargement on the couple that I saw might be possible artifacts. All these stones, large and small are just rocks.

Comment

• OutdoorOG
            OutdoorOG commented
            Editing a comment
            Did you watch the videos?

I would have comfortably said that some of the items in the first picture were likely simple rhyolite quarry blanks. That area is filled with low grade deposits that weren't great, but were heavily used by local groups.

The google drive pictures make me agree 100% with SailorJoe. Keep searching!
          Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

I am uploading video files now. They should be at this google drive link at 6pm EST. These three video files have better detail of each piece (360 view). I'd be curious as to thoughts after seeing the three videos.

Thanks again.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...aa?usp=sharing

Comment

Looked at your pics...they are not rhyolite nor are they quartz... They are not worked by natives. You are surrounded by rhyolite and quartz in your area. If you keep looking for what you have already found you are probably missing artifacts\ arrowheads. It takes practice...and we are not trying to discourage you. If you walk in that creek...lok for something sharp~
            Last edited by utilized flake; 08-14-2021, 03:22 PM.
            North Carolina

Comment

I started to watch the video... But you were yelling me what these things are, and not to be harsh but no... You are not correct in your Id's, these are not artifacts. Am I serious? Yes... I have found over 3,000 projectiles and three times that in tools in North Carolina. Listen to us please...or don't ...your choice to show off your box o' rocks. I've tried to help! This post is so destined to reside in the rocks mistaken threads ( not a place you want your post to end up) and I'm out~
            Last edited by utilized flake; 08-14-2021, 07:57 PM.
            North Carolina

Comment

• OutdoorOG
              OutdoorOG commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm not asking for your track record or credibility, or for this posts ultimate fate.

You haven't watched the three videos and you gave a hasty denial without evidence to support your claim other than your (alleged) finds, so you don't get to weigh in. Sorry man. 😞

I gotta say this has been a weird thread for a bunch of rocks that are obviously nothing but plain ole rocks ...

Comment

Working...
            X