Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found this about 5 feet deep on the beach today

Hello everyone!
    Just stumbled upon this site today trying to figure out what my 3 year old daughter found while playing in a deep hole dug on the beach.
    It's definitely not bone matter so I don't really think it's a tooth.  It's really worn down in the middle of the triangle....which is a bit risen over the bottom part.  The point is a bit crooked.  I notice a few grooves on the side but am unsure if this is from aging or if it was from someone who made it.  The piece is a bit darker near the bottom or base.  It was found on the beach near the Maryland-Deleware border.
    I'd say the length is about 1-1.5 inches.  It's pretty light but doesn't seem to be shell material. Some type of sedimentary type rock I'm guessing. Maybe a fishing spearhead due to the location?  This has peaked my interest and maybe the beginnings of a new hobby.
    My first attachment seems to be the front since it is raised.  The back is pretty flat and has a rocky/fossil feel.
    Thanks for your time!
    I'd appreciate any information or ideas!  I'm hoping it's an arrowhead....it would make a great framed piece in our house!
       Attached files 

Oh yeah, I'd say it's about .75 inches wide at the widest part of the triangle.

Comment

You know, with what I can see, I think you have rock that is similar in shape to an artifact. Sorry, but keep looking. This is a hobby well worth your time.
      Bob

Comment

I agree with Bob..No flaking present, no human alteration.

Comment

I am no expert but the 1st pic looks like a tooth but maybe not. Kinda cool still tho if its nothing! That be cool if it was a dinosaur tooth tho. Right at a beach in the city over on lake erie they found a fossil Dunkleosteus, a Late Devonian Placoderm Armored Fish from Morocco. This armour plated fish grew to some 20 feet. Dunkleosteus was one of the earliest jawed vertebrates, and one of the largest of the placoderms.

Comment

Sorry, from what I can see in your pics I agree it is a natural rock.
            Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

Thanks for the comments everyone!

Comment

Working...
              X